Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS app logs out every 24 hours

itsJAMIElike
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hello, 
Since joining SMARTY, I have tried to use the app, great!

However almost every 24 hours the app logs me out, and I need to put my details in all over again. 

Face ID does not work, and every time I do this I need to reset up the app / verify myself . 

28 REPLIES 28

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@itsJAMIElike,

It's not you or the iPhone.

As with all organisations that control our data (or some of it) such as address, email, payment details etc, they have to follow GDPR to protect private information from those that may use it to defraud you.

There have been a number of posts about 2 factor authentication and data protection.

I understand security issues but from reading the rest of the posts, I feel like there could be a fauly currently in the APP as it repeatedly logs people out. 

@itsJAMIElike,

If you believe it's a fault in the APP, I suggest you raise the issue with a Smarty Agent over a Webchat.

I, like the majority here, are Smarty customers (just like you) and have no influence over the use of GDPR by Smarty, or the APP!

I’ve raised this with SMARTY…there is definitely a problem with the latest app update.  Before this I had 90 days of Face ID access, before forced to put in credentials again.  Banking apps that use biometrics do not log you out as frequently as this app.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/chats-hacks/site-continually-insists-on-verification-code-when-acc...

I deleted the app from my iPhone, reinstalled it, and enabled Face ID. So far, so good. 🤞
(But I won't know for sure until a couple of days go by)

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@itsJAMIElike  There are a large number of posts already on this topic and it comes down to companies trying to protect your data with 2 factor authorisation. (Try a quick search of Smarty threads and you will see it!)

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I am also now being logged out of the app on a daily basis, so will try the uninstall and re-install, as mentioned by @WelshPaul 

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

I just opened the app on my iPhone and I have been out of the APP again. So deleting and re-installing the app made no difference to me. I have now deleted the SMARTY app and left a 1 star review on the app store.

@WelshPaul  I have just checked my iPhone. smarty app had not forgotten me and opened up. I logged out and, upon logging in again it just needed FaceID. Running iOS 16.6.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Glad it works for you, but it doesn’t for me and many others. In fact,

IMG_1230.png

IMG_1231.png

IMG_1232.png

Yeah its the same issue on Android also logging back in every few hours is painful, but aside from security measures and all that, I think the root of the problem is that the "trust" device mechanism doesn't actually work because if it did then you'd just remain logged in for longer and THEN be signed out at some point. That's what actually baffles me - I don't mind being logged out after say 10 days. My Vitality app for instance keeps me logged in for 14 days after which ALL sessions (app, desktop) are expired and relogin is needed. There is a lot of "personal" data there too.

With Smarty it logs out continually so forever having to log back in again and complete 2FA. Moreover when this happens I've noticed the biometrics setting suddenly decides to switch off. It actually works the opposite of the way we expect it to work!!  

Even their own help centre articles say:

This means you will only need to verify yourself through multi-factor authentication (via a code sent via SMS or email) every so often and not every time you log in to the app on a device that you've chosen to trust.

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/5580830-app-security-features
https://smarty.co.uk/blog/smarty-apps-security-features/ 

@jassingh I appreciate what you are saying, but it does not seem to be the same for all of us. I use MacOS and iOS and have few problems.

The iOS does not log me out. The MacOS makes me input email and password, but allows my Mac to remember them anyway. The Mac itself is protected by TouchID before I can even get to the website page.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

You keep spouting on about your MAC? My comments are about their iOS app. There is no app for the MAC! You simply login via their website on your MAC. I have a MAC and I haven't mentioned anything about it.

@WelshPaul If you read what I wrote, I mentioned BOTH - that's because I use both and they have individually different types of security - Touch ID on the MAC (it's a MacBook) and Face ID on the iPhone.

I am 'spouting on', as you say, in order to try and help people. Thank you for advising that there is no app for the MacOS - I was well aware.

I gave up on the SMARTY app a long time ago. 
I think SMARTY only offered their app several years after launching, with account management initially being online only - which has issues too.

Perhaps things will change if MergeCo ever comes to fruition.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

I have just had a thought... I enabled Private Relay a couple of weeks or so ago. About the time I started to get logged out of the SMARTY app! What do you lot have this set to?

Settings > Apple ID (Your profile name) > iCloud > Private Relay = On

EDIT: I'm wondering if the SMARTY app doesn't play well with this feature and thus logs the user out as a result.

Edit 2: Background App refresh for the SMARTY app is also disabled for me, but then it has been for a very long time and so I don't think that would be the cause.

@WelshPaul  I have Private Relay set to 'off'

OK so it was nothing to do with Private Relay or Background App refresh because once again this morning, I had been logged back out of the app. 

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I am not using private relay and do have background app refresh enabled for the Smarty app. Had to log in again this morning. The backend of the app has possibly been broken. 

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I’ve had about 18 hours without 2FA…!  I’m hopeful that whatever has been broken has now been fixed.  My iPhone has been working on FaceID only since around 11pm last night up until right now.  
I got an email yesterday from SMARTY, advising me of a new login from current iOS version…which I haven’t seen for a month or so?…got a few extra pop ups in app too this morning.

Murugai_1957350
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Since last month this is happening  to me. Even if I select trust this device still logging  out every 24hrs.

@Murugai_1957350  A search will show you that this has been discussed extensively recently and that Smarty are still looking at the overall situation. Some of us don't seem to have too much difficulty (I didn't need to log in again with 2FA this morning when I turned on the webpage while others struggle.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Whatever SMARTY did, it fixed the the issue for me. The iOS app now stays logged in and FaceID is working as it should. 👍

itsJAMIElike
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

It is still an isuse for me, 

For the people saying its a 2FA issue this is not, it is an app issue. The app wipes its self every 24 hours and needs a whole new sign in process. This is a fault not a feature, for example a banking app, that would in theory be more secure than a mobile phone account does not do this and can use FaceID/ pin to log in and not reset every 24. 

Jamie 

@itsJAMIElike,

I don't know, or need to know, what banking institution you are with, but thankfully mine logs me out after 3 or 4 minutes of inactivity, and personally prefer to log myself out if my full attention is not on my banking app.

I'm now in the habit of logging myself out of Smarty every time I've finished what I wanted to do, and would much rather be logged out repeatedly and secure, than potentially lose data

@itsJAMIElike  Banking apps need an even higher level of security because they not only give access to your personal data, but also allow access to your cash so security is more crucial.

It seems to me that not everyone is experiencing the same thing.

It's definitely been fixed on my end. iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 16.6 here! Have you tried deleting the app from your device and then re-install it?

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

It’s fixed for me too.  I’m also on iOS 16.6 and it’s stayed logged in for over 5 days now without any need for 2FA, just using FaceID.