cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Open Discussion] iPhone vs Android: Which do you use and why?

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

It’s the biggest question of the 21st century... Which do you prefer, Android or iPhone? 

I’m NOT trying to insight all out warfare. I'm just interested in what everyone thinks. I’m team iPhone all the way. Why, you ask? 

I use a MacBook 

Even if I admit spec for spec Android phones are better on paper. I can’t get away from the fact that the iPhone integrates SO WELL with my MacBook.  Using both in combination I can:  

• Access texts from my phone on my laptop 
  • Use a universal clipboard; so if I copy text on my phone I can paste on the Mac (or vice-versa) 
  • Instantly access photos from my phone (Via the photos app) 
  • Share large media files instantly through Airdrop  
  1. Software support 

I generally keep my phone for 4+ years. iPhone's tend to get at least 6 years of software support. Which means I can get some real millage out of my purchase. Comparably, most Android phones barely get 3 years of support. Which means if you want the latest software you have to buy a new phone...  

1. It seems like a lot of effort to switch 

I’ve been an iPhone user for a LONG time. Switching everything over just seems like a lot of effort, when the apps that run across both platforms are pretty much the same (Facebook, WhatsApp, TikTok, etc.)  

1. Air Pods 

Like my MacBook dilemma. I use Air Pods. I know you can use Air Pods with an Android phone, but you lose half the functionality! Which defeats the point in owning them.   

1. Resale value 

I suppose it's because of the longer software support & unicorn status of the Apple brand. But it’s undoubtable that iPhones hold their value better than their android counterparts. Which means when it comes to upgrade time you can offset some extra cost. Seems like solid logic to me 🤔 

Those are just my reasons. But what do you use?  

Have I completely missed all the positives Android brings to the table? Or do you agree iPhone is the de-facto phone to get for most people? 

64 REPLIES 64

Well that is not what you said. Also a different time. 

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Well, iOS is nothing like Gulags.

Yes, it's a closed platform but there are multiple pros and some cons, of course. Personally, I prefer Android, although I have had experience with iPhone and iOS, and I have to say, our iMac back from 2011 works like a clock so far.

leedorney
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I think what'll happen in the future is that one will come out on top or they'll be absorbed by the other, look at Blackberry..

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Parity will prevail 😉

Michael_Junior
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I use android now running 13...Find I can do more personal touches like install apk's etc and more customisation 

ChrisGi_1537052
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Was always iPhone until around 5 years ago and then changed to android and its the best thing I've done so much more freedom and allow you to install external applications.

Sasha
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Definitely Android,Linux flavours and Pi (might add a Mac into the mix soon)

Stephen_1488669
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

For me its Android phone all day long great phones I have had IPhone not in prest with them 

Vexed
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I’ve been using iPhones since around 2008 and although I’ve tried many android devices I’ve found they don’t last as long and can be clunkier to use. 

LisaGrin_168371
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Android all the way! I tried both and just don't like the iPhone system or how little choice they give you. Or the expense of the devices.

AishaAl_1334224
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I’ve been using apple since when iPhone 3 was out. I’m just so much use to it and cannot understand the android features

Mathemagic
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I've always used Android (or Nokia previously) but this has predominantly been down to cost. Step daughter has mostly had iPhones as her dad swears by them. I get the longevity argument of iPhones, but step daughter has had more iPhones in the same time as my last two phones - but this could be down to her desire to continually upgrade and my happiness with what I have.
I've now got a Samsung A70 which is just over 3.5 years old - it feels like new. I got it for a very good price after a cashback offer and a trade-in offer (About £210). I do suspect that as Android phones can often be quite cheap - decent phones for just under £100 and upwards, comparing budget Android phones to iPhones isn't a fair comparison.

PaulDev_1435944
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Android is defo the way to go if you have a limited budget you could buy a circa $100 phone that's gonna do every thing the latest I phone can do so why waste all that money and spend $1000 on the latest I phone when you can get an android phone that can do all the stuff an I phone can do and I think android is far superior in terms of software and choice so defo android all the way. 

StevenRi_347309
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I no use both my personal devices are all Apple, however my work use android I can see advantages to both. My preferred device is Apple it is more of a stable operating system they very rarely crash and I think are much more user friendly. 

LKD70
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I'll preface this with "I have an iPad", which I guess shied my immediate attempt to be neutral but also gives away my huge bias.

I have an iPad, I use it for work. I'm a programmer that needs to test products on many different platforms. The iPad is amazing, it's an old one but she is still going strong. Got her second hand from eBay and honestly it's better than anything I could have imagined. The software is a little odd to an android user, there's a lot of comfort features that are missing, or things that are done slightly differently in either an interesting or annoying way.

That being said, I'll get in to my main reason why I stick to the Android echosystem for my main device(s). The ecosystem isn't locked down. To use an apple product to its full, you must really buy in to the apple ecosystem which gets expensive very quickly. I would love to have a Mac just to harness some of the additional features like xcode signing, things that apple prevents from being on other platforms. But the cost I cannot begin to imagine paying.

The Android ecosystem being based on open and free software really provides a better overall cost and experience. Everything works seamlessly across brands, devices, and price ranges.

I'll also say that android allows you to do stuff the way you wish to do it, apple has its own way of doing things and if you don't like it, then you best learn to like it or leave. The freedom that Android allows to really make a device your own and to own your device is something I really value.

StephenSmarty
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Android , as you literally have to pay for most things on an iPhone 

PTrishDK
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have always had Android but also got an iPhone recently: I love all the little user-friendly knick knacks on the iPhone and would really like to prefer it because of that and the extra support I'm told it gets but I don't see it as value for money and my (much much cheaper) Android device is so much higher spec. I want to prefer the iPhone but, as will all Apple products, I feel I would need more money than sense.

KateAll_1717401
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I’m so with you, the updates are amazing every time you update you Mac book it’s got everything a brand new one has. I love Apple have the phone iPad and MacBook Air. They are spot on. 

cheers. 

TimMcDo_1447310
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Back in the day I used to be an iPhone advocate. The last iPhone I got though was a 3gs. The reason I changed to android is that when the iPhone 4 came out I didn't like the shape and it made me realise that if I kept with Apple I would have to accept the style and technology that Apple would release. With Android not being constricted to one device, I could choose from style, hardware specifications, price etc. 

Don't get me wrong, Apple technology wise is always of high quality but with Android, especially now, you can get the same premium quality or if your budget does not afford that, a device that will work with all your other apps for a cheaper price. 

RobSpark_524442
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

For me it’s Apple with iCloud all the way, simply because every time ‘it just works’ . 
Shared calendars, scheduling meeting invites, across device seamless integration and the ease of replacement devices without losing essential data.  Yes there are ways to do this on all platforms but the beauty of Apple products is that ‘it just works’.

JohnWhi_1415442
SMARTY Observer
SMARTY Observer

I'm android, main reason, my Samsung phone will take a 1tb micro sd card an top of the onboard 32gb and will integrate seamlessly with all my devices. Apple devices will only allow bluetooth to it's own devices. Security is much better on Android, there have been fewer hacks of Android than i devices, Apple have lost more customer data than all other companies. Finally cost, Android as a rule are much cheaper for the similar spec.

NeilDall_246595
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I like to use Andriod mainly because it's like total freedom to do whatever you want and I see Apple as quite a restrictive type of tech, I have also always been a fan of anything Linux as always been open source and powerful, apple always seems to be strangely for the rich, also seem to be politically motivated in many ways!!

JOSHUAn_1808525
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I use android because it's has better apps and you can use a custom ROM plus after the life span they don't runin the phone by bricking it on purpose 

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

I'm in the Apple camp now. 
Used Android for many years. When I moved to a mobile not-spot in 2017, I needed Wi-Fi Calling to call and text from home. At that time Android was very poorly supported by majority of mobile network operators, hence I switched to an iPhone as network operators provided near enough universal support for Wi-Fi Calling with Apple handsets.
Living in a mobile network not-spot, Wi-Fi Calling is the only way of calling and texting.

Jayflex
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

The last iPhone I owned was a iPhone 4. Had a iPhone 5, but only because I lost my phone. I have been android ever since. 

I own apple mac book pro and use macs at work for my job daily. So I dont have anything against apple products.

I currently own a OnePlus 10 pro. It's one of the best phones I've owned period. Have owned several OnePlus devices in the past and one Pixel XL. 

I never missed iMessage or facetime as WhatsApp is something all of my contacts have. I think apple has missed a trick as they continue to ignore and are very reluctant to integrate RCS messaging. 

I'm not a fan of all android phones tho, typically Samsung have used inferior chip set in their European editions of their phones. Both Google and Samsung both insist on using dated charging technology, where OnePlus and other Chinese phone makers are innovators in charging technology I can charge my phone to 100 % in like 32mins.

The only thing I don't like is that certain apps are tailored more for iPhone and the app experience differs on android.

That's my take.