cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

[Open Discussion] What are some mobile apps you can't live without?

LKD70
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I'm new to the forums and thought I'd start my own open discussion to get a feel for the atmosphere here, huge fan of forums so here goes!

What are some mobile apps you can't live without?

I persinally daily drive Android, so my list might not all apply to you iPhone users, though there's certainly a few gems in there for both of us.

1. FairEmail - This android app makes handling multiple email accounts a lot easier. I will preface this with "this is not a tool for beginners" and by that I mean it can be a little confusing to learn and harness the full power of this app. But I will say even for a novice, a lot of the features would prove to be fairly simple and useful, but for a power user this certainly is a must try!

2. Firefox - Though a Firefox app is available for both android and IOS, I can only recommend it on Android as the IOS one is essentially a skin for Safari (as all IOS browsers must be). A web browser appearing on this list might seem odd, however I will just jump right in and give my main reason above all - extensions. Firefox for Android allows you to use web extensions such as uBlock Origin, Dark Reader, and many more - many work flawlessly with the mobile experience.

3. 1password - 1password is a cross platform cloud based password manager, let me start by saying this one isn't free, for a free alternative there's similar apps like Bitwarden. There's plenty of password managers available, but I've chosen after trying many of the options to stick to 1password given that it has great support for 2 factor authentication tokens (even automatically copying the token to your clipboard when you need it) and has flawless cross platform clients.

I could go on for hours writing a long list of all my go-to's, but for now I'll give you these 3 and see what you peeps can come up with, so what are your go to apps?

7 REPLIES 7

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @LKD70 Welcome to the SMARTY Community!

Great first post here - I'm iPhone but I'll share my top 3 apps right now

1. Patreon - Great app with a feed for whatever creators you subscribe to, I'm currently listening to a couple of podcasts that have an incredible amount of extra value for the price of a cup of coffee a month.

2. Too Good To Go - another pretty neat app where you can grab food at a lower cost and reduce waste - as the popularity of this app grows you see more and more food places joining, the fun part is you don't know what you are going to get until you show up to the store, giving you the chance to try something new at a lower cost, whilst reducing waste!

3. Good ol' Maps - Whilst maybe not being as advanced as some of the other Map apps you can get these days, this was a lifesaver for me on a recent trip to Amsterdam where this really helped get around a city I know nothing about - setting my route up and selecting public transport showed me the quickest way to get to where I want to go, via walking, metro, tram, train and even ferry!

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

Hello @LKD70, thanks for posting.

Okay, so living in close proximity to the Atlantic coastline, my go to app is MSW (Magic Seaweed), which is a 7-day surf forecast. 

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey  LKD70,

I do most of my shopping online so its Amazon, Etsy and boots for me ๐Ÿ’…

leedorney
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster
Spoiler

I use YouTube music ALL THE TIME, then WhatsApp tho the good old txt message app on my Xiaomi based fone is not a data driven point of communication as Google's messenger has become and lastly but not least, as much as I have a Poco/Xiaomi I still use Samsung internet app. as I just love it; it's really simple and practical and well laid out, I'd use Samsung email if I could as the 4x4 widget is the best imo, maybe being a bit specific but the details on it are great but sadly it's not available as a stand alone app. And I'm a pubg'er - even tho I'm 50 the kid in me luvs a battlefield game ๐Ÿ˜

casesp7728
Team SMARTY
Team SMARTY

Welcome @LKD70 ๐Ÿ‘‹ 

I'm with @Rebekah_150 on Amazon and Etsy. Amazon's app is faultless let's be honest! 

If you're a dog walker - the app Biscuit is a new one i've had for a month or so, you basically earn biscuits if you meet your walking goal each week/day and can convert them into vouchers so spend at places like Tesco, M&S, Iceland, Zizzi, Cafe Nero etc. Would totally recommend. 

Living near an airport also has me addicted to Flightradar24! โœˆ๏ธ

Decembersangel
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I LOVE the Epub Reader (basic) app on my Kindle Fire๐Ÿ‘ I read between 7 and 15 books a week and this is a great app that is so easy to use to read epub format books, which are easier to find than the Kindle mobi formatted books! Knowing the right websites I can download as many as I want for free including many newly released books. ๐Ÿ˜

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

BITWARDEN - Password App

TODOIST - To Do List

THE ATHLETIC - Sports newspaper, originally founded in Toronto, covering north american sports, now expanded to covering football, F1, etc. (As a subscriber, I have free 30 day guest passes to give away. If anyone wants a pass to check out The Athletic for 30 days, free of charge, just let me know). 

Todoist 

The Athletic