cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 15 series - eSIM only in Europe ?

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Interesting if this turns out to be true…

Would force all networks to adopt eSIM.

I do wonder if conversely, it would drive up sales of Android phones, with some people (even networks ?) reluctant to use / trust eSIM. 

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/03/27/sim-card-trays-may-disappear-from-iphone-15-in-europe 

15 REPLIES 15

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Perhaps 'may disappear' is the operative phrase here... it's difficult to see the necessary investment in eSIM support happening in the UK before likely availability of iPhone 15 devices. 

Apple have around 50% of the UK smartphone market, so going eSIM only could hurt iPhone 15 sales in the UK.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

True. 

I know there is a cost to networks on their back end systems etc, but I can’t think it much, as eSIM is certainly very common in the USA and Europe. 

Even “Spusu” , the Austrian network who recently entered the UK mobile market as an MVNO on EE, allow offer eSIM 30 day ‘contracts’

If not iPhone 15, maybe iPhone 16. Time will tell of course. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Perhaps interesting that Apple sell the iPhone14 as esim only in the US but decided to keep it traditional for everywhere else. Will they be brave enough to make the iPhone15 sim only in Europe - maybe risky as you suggest.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Could well be risky. 

On my recent trip to the US, I did notice that whilst not all carriers support eSIM, most do, and also, visual voicemail for iPhone comes as standard  on all networks. 

Maybe Apple are trying to effectively force European networks to adopt eSIM, and possibly visual voicemail ? 

Maybe Apple should concentrate on price disparities before anything else, an email from “Best Buy” yesterday showcased the Apple Watch ultra - Normal price $779 around £620, yet its £879 here ! It’s the same with iPhones, iPads etc

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  I totally agree about pricing! Unfortunately, I really find their products top notch and reliable, but it grieves me mightily to pay their UK prices.

At least **bleep** Turpin had the decency to hide behind a mask when he took your money!!⚔️☠️

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Oh no.....caught by the dreaded algorithm!!!!! I was, of course referring to one Squire Richard Turpin, Highwayman of the Parish!!!!

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I have to agree, re Apple products.

The price difference between the US and here is bonkers. 

The 256 GB iPhone 13 mini I bought in Arizona was $729 which is £565.

The same model here is £759 ! 

If I wouldn’t have been connecting the Arizona purchased iPhone 13 mini to AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon, it would have been $699, had to pay $30 extra to buy an unlocked version. 

The sales assistant was very amused that I was buying the iPhone in the USA to use in the UK. 😂

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Many moons ago (when I was young and innocent....maybe!) I purchased a MacAir from a US source. I couldn't believe the price differential (Pound was stronger then!). The sales assistant looked at me strangely when I asked if it was the same spec as a UK model - he showed me the web page for comparison. The only issue was the plug on the charger, but a couple of quid bought me an adaptor.

It just shows the power and popularity of the product that we mugs/customers will pay for the products. Shame about the iPhone 14 only accepting sim otherwise I would've considered asking a friend to bring one.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I THINK it was on Money Saving Expert recently, there is a company in the US that you will let you their address to buy items in the US, have it shipped to them, and they will send it  on you. Their fees were resolvable too. 

EDIT : This is the company : “MyUS”

My US reshipping

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Thanks for that info - very useful.

Luckily, we have some friends in the US who will happily do the same for no fee 😜

Unfortunately, if the new US versions of iPhone are going to be esim onlymy cunning plan to save a load of dosh won't work 😩

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I do think eSIM will become more widely available, certainly here and also in Europe.

A few years ago, I went to Poland, bought a Polish SIM card on the “Play” network. I still keep it alive by sending a text to my usual English number once a month, as it only costs a few grosz (100 grosz = 1 Złoty)

I have just converted my physical SIM card into an eSIM.

IMG_0664.jpeg

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  I don't think I have any particular objections to esim, but I'm currently working on the basis of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

IMG_0672.jpeg

 eSIM is definitely great for travellers. 

I have six eSIM in my iPhone 13 mini. Perhaps even more useful now that, from iOS 16, you can use two eSIMs simultaneously. 

eSIM has definitely had more traction in the US and Europe is catching up. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2   😳

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

😂