cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Signal Issues. Not Impressed.

MarkyR74
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

So I recently got an iPhone 13 Pro. Since I received it the phone has been jumping from 3G to 4G where I live, my previous iPhone XR more or less stayed on 4G after what seemed to be very recent upgrades to the network. This is because it used to also pick up 3G or just drop the signal.

So I went in your chat and spoke to a representative who advised me the masts are being worked on in my area and this includes 4G and 5G and this would be finished by March 1st. That has come and gone and no change. So I just figured fine I have a worst signal now.

But today I drove 13 miles to my nearest big town as it is stated on both the Three and Smarty coverage checkers to have full 5G signal coverage, this being my first 5G phone I wanted check it out as I was out that way today anyway. And obviously Smarty state you do not need a new SIM for 5G to work.

Well I managed to find a spot where my iPhone reported 3 bars out of 4 of 5G signal. And nothing! Absolutely nothing worked on it, nada, zilch. I couldn't run any speed tests from the Speedtest app, it just timed out looking for the server, I tried the Nperf app which would start a test then promptly crash with a server error.

But I also could not browse ANY websites! I tried every setting:

APN to three.co.uk and mob.ask.net

Voice and data set to 5G On and 5G Auto

Data mode to standard and to Allow more data on 5G

Limit IP address tracking on and off.

I rebooted my iPhone several times after changing settings. Also turned it off and on and also turned Airplane mode on and off and still absolutely nothing?

So I then fixed the cellular data to 4G LTE only and EVERYTHING worked fine, I did a Speedtest and I got 30 ping and 130mbps down and 18 up! 

So what is going on? Why is the 5G not working? Do I need a new SIM card? Does Smarty need to change my phones carrier settings? I'm really unimpressed I have to say. It makes me suspicious of my phone switching between 3G and 4G all the time too. Or are iPhones not compatible with Smarty's / Three's 5G signals?

11 REPLIES 11

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Unfortunately, as Forum Members like you, we will not know of any local issues. You probably will need to take what you found back to the Support Team via web chat and see if they can find anything further.

MarkyR74
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I've seen support members on here reach out though. One called Nathan springs to mind. Could they not advise?

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

What version of iOS is running on your iPhone 13 Pro @MarkyR74?

My iPhone 13 is running iOS 16.3.1 and mobile data is set to 5G Auto, and the 5G works nicely wherever there's coverage.

MarkyR74
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi, I am running the latest version of IOS. I did try all settings but left it on 5G Auto, I did read that some think other providers in some areas only allow talk and SMS services on 5G, maybe Three do the same?

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Voice and SMS services work differently using 5G technology.
I'm not sure any of the UK network operators would want to restrict their 5G services to voice and SMS.

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey MarkyR74

All of our sims are compatible with our 5G signal, were not aware of any general issue with iPhone connecting to 5G. I would recommend checking the area you are having issues with, on our network status check  https://bit.ly/3EzWp6u .Keep an eye out for the same issue in other 5G areas, if this is consistently happening please contact our chat team. https://smarty.co.uk/contact and one of our advisors will be more than happy to help. Available daily from 8am – 8pm

Rebekah 

Thanks, I went on your chat and all they had me do was reset network settings, and then try all the settings I already have done. I am no longer in the 5G coverage area but am back in the supposed great 4G area where I still get the phone dropping g to 3G. I’ve given up and will be trying 1P Mobile as they state I can get 5G with them.

I already stated in my posts above that both the Smarty and Three coverage checkers stated I could get 5G cover in the town I went to test it in.

I was told by the agent I could get a new SIM to try but that will mean I have no mobile phone to use for the few days it will take to arrive, that is utterly unacceptable, and I’ve never know any provider to cut you off for ‘security reasons’ whilst you wait for a new SIM card!

Next year when the 3G signal is turned off by Three I will assume I will have communication black spots in my area as a result, because the 4G is meant to have been upgraded now.

I like Smarty, but it has now become obvious the signal is not satisfactory in the wide area of where I live, 5G doesn’t work as advertised and I get drops to 3G which next year will mean black spot no signal areas. I’m afraid I won’t pay for that.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

The online coverage checkers are all based on computer models, which make a number of assumptions about topography, atmospheric conditions, building materials, et cetera. This means the actual coverage in any given location might be different to the predicted coverage.

If you've got signal issues, it's always worth looking at the operational status of Three's network at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support.

Did your SMARTY SIM work okay with 5G in another handset?

I also went to the hospital which according to the Smarty coverage checker on the Smarty websites states is smack bang in the middle of the 5G area, with indoor and outdoor signal, I parked on the very top uncovered level of the multi story hospital car park right next to the hospital, I could even see cellular masts on top of the hospital roof, and I got NO 5G signal no matter what I did. I think you need to reevaluate the accuracy of the coverage checker and the data it presents.

Matthew_SMARTY
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hey Mark

Sorry to hear this. It could possibly be due to congestion in the area, usually hospitals are very busy areas and this may effected your signal.  How is your signal at other times? 

- Matt

Well I went to another place with Three 5G and it worked but only around 50MBPS. With 3 bars of 5G service, so the other town must have issues or something for it not to work.

I have tested a 1P Mobile SIM yesterday and today though, and I get MUCH better speeds with it on EE. I even get 5G in my house and it got over 90mbps on a Speedtest. So as much as I like Smarty, I think after further testing I'll have to leave. Three just don't have the signal in my area, and I do worry once that 3G is turned off if I'll have signal black spots. The coverage checker states I should get 'Very Good' 4G coverage, I don't see that at all I'm afraid. Looking at cell maper EE has more masts and closer to me, Three has fewer more widely spread out. I don't know what the plans are for North Dorset but I think it could be upgraded, although I expect planning permission for any new 5G mast will be difficult and met with opposition.

Where I go grocery shopping I can get around 80MBPS on Three 4G, but it doesn't seem to spread far enough to my village, the shops are about 9 miles from where I live.