cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Data Usage

RobertP_1928294
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Is/has anyone had any issues with Smarty claiming they’ve used data when you know you haven’t? I’m a low data user, on the 4Gb plan. Got a message yesterday to say I’d run out of data which was strange, I never run out and I was working from home, hardly using my phone, which was connected to home WiFi and had been all day, hadn’t left the house. Checked Smarty account and it said I’d used 0.7Gb. I’d been on WiFi the whole time. Chatting with Smarty support, long and the short of it is they claim that when phones are connected to WiFi they still use cellular data unless you manually switch off mobile data to force them to use WiFi. I don’t believe this. Said even if that’s the case the how come my normal usage is 20-30Mb when connected to WiFi and using my phone as normal, now suddenly I’ve used 700Mb. Something strange going on. Anyone else had this?

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@RobertP_1928294  A bit confused here. You say that the message said you had nearly run out of data, but your account shows that you have only used 0.7Gb out of 4Gb?

Do you ever leave home as the phone will switch to mobile data if wifi not available. If there happens to be some updating of software going on while you re out, that could well account for the usage.

Perhaps a silly question, but do you only have one account that you are responsible for?

I have occasionally noticed that the phone does not immediately pick up wifi when I come home and therefore uses mobile data for a short time.

Finally, does your phone settings have an 'apps by usage' information under mobile data ? (iPhone does) - that could be helpful here.

Sorry if my original post wasn’t clear. The message said I had run out of data, I had 0Gb left. When I checked in the app it said so far that day I had used 0.7Gb but I had been connected to my home WiFi all day working from home, hadn’t left the house, hardly used phone. Not responsible for any other accounts. The apps usage current stats are from Sept 2023 (I’ve reset the stats now) so don’t really help. What I’m struggling with is Smarty support stating that even when you’re connected to WiFi your phone will still use mobile data and that need to be switched off to actually use WiFi. If that’s the case how come my usual daily usage is 20-30Mb?

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Some phones will use mobile data if they detect that no internet connection is available through your WiFi connection, or if the internet through the WiFi connection isn't working well (I can't speak for Android but I know iPhones do this by default, and you can turn the setting off if you prefer it not to).

I would have a look in your phone settings to see how much mobile data it thinks it's used. It may also show you which apps have been using your mobile data.

I have Wi-Fi assist turned off on my iPhone so even if my home WiFi was weak (it isn’t I work from home) my phone wouldn’t switch to cellular in that scenario. Bit good suggestion to check.

RovingRaspberry
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Good advice from @MSF and @SmartyTrousers 

Phones can and do use mobile data when connected to wifi, but of course its usually small amounts.

Definitely check the data consumption of apps and system updates, which may shed more light on this issue for you.