cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not being able to make or recieve calls

StuartM_2931470
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I know this has been mentioned several times on here, but i've not found a helpful fix, recently gone over to smarty from O2, i put the new sim in my phone, i can browse the internet, send and receive texts, but cannot make or receive calls, I have a Sony Xperia 5iii, the smarty sim works fine in my work phone and my work phone sim works fine in my Sony, yet something about smarty and Sony do not work together, ive been communicating on webchat across days but they've not really helped, they did send me a second sim, but same issue, worse case, i will have to give up on smarty and find another provider but i would rather not.

Please don't lecture me on VoLTE settings, which i can find no mention of in the Sony settings, my phone was bought outright a few years ago and a virgin and then O2 sim were added.

Odd that my phone works with a virgin and vodafone sim but not a smarty's and odd that the smarty sim  works in my works samsung galaxy a22 phone

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@StuartM_2931470 If you look at the list of compatible phones, it is perhaps odd that the only one of those Experia models not listed is yours - https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/8985136-checking-if-your-device-is-4g-volte-compatible I wonder if it has simply been missed off the list.

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Unfortunately, if your phone isn't compatible with Smarty's VoLTE - and it sounds like it isn't - the only two options are to go to a network where it is supported, or change to a handset which is supported by Smarty. There is no fix, as such.

As I understand it, mobile device manufacturers and mobile network equipment manufacturers all implement VoLTE in slightly different ways. Carriers like Smarty need to supply the specific settings for their VoLTE to the device manufacturers to include in the firmware on their devices, who in some cases actually depend on the chip manufacturers to incorporate the VoLTE settings. Unfortunately, Smarty can't control when these updated settings will get pushed out to the devices by the device or chip manufacturers - if they ever get pushed out at all.

onthwagon
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I am using the same phone and free device not from any service provided. andriod 13 os is default turning one with 4G and 5G calling. and i am able to use this on oversea 5G or 4G network. it is Smarty idiotically using the hardware not compatible and ask you to change a phone. Sony is a worldwide brand that Smarty should be available for not pushing their flaw to users.

onthwagon
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

did you see i am using xperia 5iii as well and the OP can use the 5G for O2/vodafone/virgin. Just Smarty but the hardware that can't support and blame the customer using the 5G phone that not on their list.

@onthwagon  It's not a question of blame. Smarty just don't support certain phones.

As forum members, we don't know why exactly., but you could raise it as a Complaint and they may give you detailed information.