Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in receiving SMS messages

LCP_2299697
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi, 

I've been with SMARTY since Jan 24 when I ported my number over from Vodafone. Over the last few weeks I've been having a recurring problem that every SMS I receive takes ages to come through...anything from 30 mins to over 2 hours+. 

I've spoken to the online support team who went through various things (reset, etc) but it has made no difference. In the 15+ years I was with Vodofone I never had this problem (not even on News Years Eve). This is suggesting to me that the issue is with SMARTY and linked to network traffic, etc.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did it get resolved. I've tried a different SIM card from another network in my phone, and the SMS function works perfectly, so I'm fairly confident its not the phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@LCP_2299697  Certainly not experienced this before in general. Is it SMS from particular numbers?

Thanks for your swift response. No, unfortunately its not any particular numbers that I can narrow it down to - it's happened with SMS sent from personal mobiles, business mobiles and even authentication code's being sent through from companies like Google. Also, at different times of the day/weekends. So a bit frustrating! 

@LCP_2299697 Have you also completed a Network Status check to look for any issues?

Yes, have done that as well. On each occasion I've had a very strong 4g signal and on a couple of occasions a strong 5g signal, so there was no obvious reason as to why the texts shouldnt have been delivered immediately.

Okay @LCP_2299697, is it possible the issue has been present since you switched to SMARTY in January 2024?

Have you asked SMARTY customer service to check your account is provisioned correctly?
Perhaps the switching information Vodafone passed to SMARTY had a minor error?

Yep, spent ages with the support team going through various checks (e.g. reset, deleting all old SMS messages, etc)) and said that they'd done everything they could to resolve it. I cant ever remember having this issue with Vodafone so can only assume it's since I joined SMARTY.

Perhaps there's a network routing issue for SMS services to your device, following your switch from Vodafone, @LCP_2299697

Could there be an issue with the porting information, which was passed from Vodafone to SMARTY when you switched - seems odd that SMS issues appear to have started at this point-in-time.

Thank you for that. Both of those suggestions sound perfectly plausible. I would have hoped that the experts on the support line would have looked at all of the potential causes, especially knowing that I had recently transferred over from another provider...but perhaps thats expecting too much! I may have to brave going back to them yet again.

Did you solve this? I'm experiencing similar having ported my number. As you say support seem very poor at actually helping with things.