cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Open Discussion] iPhone vs Android: Which do you use and why?

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

It’s the biggest question of the 21st century... Which do you prefer, Android or iPhone? 

I’m NOT trying to insight all out warfare. I'm just interested in what everyone thinks. I’m team iPhone all the way. Why, you ask? 

I use a MacBook 

Even if I admit spec for spec Android phones are better on paper. I can’t get away from the fact that the iPhone integrates SO WELL with my MacBook.  Using both in combination I can:  

• Access texts from my phone on my laptop 
  • Use a universal clipboard; so if I copy text on my phone I can paste on the Mac (or vice-versa) 
  • Instantly access photos from my phone (Via the photos app) 
  • Share large media files instantly through Airdrop  
  1. Software support 

I generally keep my phone for 4+ years. iPhone's tend to get at least 6 years of software support. Which means I can get some real millage out of my purchase. Comparably, most Android phones barely get 3 years of support. Which means if you want the latest software you have to buy a new phone...  

1. It seems like a lot of effort to switch 

I’ve been an iPhone user for a LONG time. Switching everything over just seems like a lot of effort, when the apps that run across both platforms are pretty much the same (Facebook, WhatsApp, TikTok, etc.)  

1. Air Pods 

Like my MacBook dilemma. I use Air Pods. I know you can use Air Pods with an Android phone, but you lose half the functionality! Which defeats the point in owning them.   

1. Resale value 

I suppose it's because of the longer software support & unicorn status of the Apple brand. But it’s undoubtable that iPhones hold their value better than their android counterparts. Which means when it comes to upgrade time you can offset some extra cost. Seems like solid logic to me 🤔 

Those are just my reasons. But what do you use?  

Have I completely missed all the positives Android brings to the table? Or do you agree iPhone is the de-facto phone to get for most people? 

64 REPLIES 64

William-b
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Ha a safe topic to kick of the community with 😂

I am iPhone too, for some of the reasons above but mostly because it just works and I don’t have the patience anymore for fixing things. Android isn’t bad at all, I was using Samsung for a fair bit,  but the value of Apple One too (costs about the same as Spotify for more), software support and there being stores I can take the phone to if there is an issue, all of that makes it the choice for me. 

Nathan
Team SMARTY
Team SMARTY

Ahh you've found my Achilles heel for discussion here George.....

I think for me I'm a bit of a self-proclaimed tech nerd. The last iPhone I owned was the iPhone 4s. I think back then Apple felt like they were pushing the boundaries of what consumer tech could do. I'll always admit that the iPhone was the catalyst that pushed the full industry forward.

However what android has offered since is an amazing variety of devices. They helped shape the full budget device market & because there are many manufactures involved i.e Sony & Samsung. It's led to amazing competition within the Android eco system.

That's only from a hardware point of view. Many would argue that iOS just works, This is purely down to Apple having a wall garden approach to software. Everything just works inside of the eco system they have carefully constructed but to your point that makes moving away from the comfort of there systems very unappealing.

Android offers far more consumer friendly approaches to this and actively encourages users to push the boundaries of what is possible. For a self proclaimed tech nerd like me getting under the hood and playing with how things look, feel & operate is more valuable than having a curated and refined experience.

I will always choose flexibility over convenience. Having said all that I don't think either Android or iOS is better than the other. I think it comes down completely to your needs and wants. Apple offer amazing hand-crafted devices that boast amazing specs & industry leading support. Android offers customization, next generation technology & a vast collection of devices to suit any niche requirements.

I can't wait to see what's next in this crazy world of tech 

BradMac_1558137
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I’m a iPhone and I love the new iPhone 14 pro max 

What is your favourite part of the iPhone 14 pro max? 

I am currently using the iPhone 12 pro max but I am looking to change to the new 14! What stands out to you?

leedorney
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I've been on android since about 2010 when the HTC desire was out. I had a chance prior to get an apple on offer on Xmas Eve when shopping tho declined due to her feeling better about android and the fact I could add an micro sd card. It's purely down to apple are quite expensive, tho yes I got that offer in the 1st instance. Saying all the above, I know iPhones just work and can in some instances be 'better' BUT the variability of android is great and so better to that's just me and my opinion..lol I notice apple have introduced widgets I think to the OS which I guess is good but again they're just too expensive for my pocket, like I've an Poco X4 Pro 5g 128gb 6gb ram and paid £250 for it, was on Giffgaff but Smarty offers faster speed though going up Scotland on a holiday back in October the coverage was dire and I had to to rely on my girlfriends phone for navigation in certain areas..IE way out in the country

My first android Device was HTC wildfire was absolute cack went to apple for a while then decided do get a Samsung galaxy s8 and stuck with Android ever since 

I had one too! I actually loved it, but It got water damage 

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Spot on @leedorney, whilst iPhones always feel great and you don't really get many issues, you are definetly paying the premium and without alot of the flexibility and innovation that you do get with Android. I dream of the day I can get a folding iPhone!

George, I can assure you that Android has became a lot more structured and as much I once walked into an Apple shop and tried to use a macbook, it didn't go well lol, I know apple now use widgets I think which are good..as it was as Paddy says a bit tiswas 😁 theira definitely more cohesiveness and tighter feel to it..tho I'm surprised that apple dont have a 'folder 🤔

paddywvw
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I've owned three iPhones. A 3G, 4 and 4S. I gave up the 4S in around 2014, because having kept an eye on Android, I finally considered it had come of age as a useable operating system and I wanted more freedom really. For those of a certain age, I would say Apple OS is like the BBC's "Swap Shop". Organised, logical, but a closed system and not given to too much frivolity. Android is Tiswas. Organised chaos where anything could happen. It came down to affordability in the end. A shiny new large screen Android, compared to (as they were then) a dinky screened iPhone. I found myself using the magnification on the iPhone more and more just to get things done.

Bigmac
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Android, as I want to have control over my hardware and data, without paying apple tax 

Android, never owned any Apple device. 

Agreed 

Quackster05
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Samsung all the way

What are you looking forward to in the new Samsung flagship? 

Is there anything about Apple that puts you off? 

Personally, I have used iPhone for several years, I have actually never owned a Samsung device so I could be biased. There are many pros and cons to both devices so it's great to hear different opinions on both manufacturers. 

Scubadiverburt
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Apple all the way since 2009 with a 3GS phone. iPads MacBooks iMacs etc etc along the way. Android is pretty good too and I have used when employed and no other option provided by the company. 

PeteBen_1450465
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

iPhone for me had one for years + all the family on iPhone 

JayA_36169
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I'm patiently waiting for apple to release a USB-C IPhone so I can have one cable for everything. When that day comes I'll be going all in on the apple ecosystem. Fingers crossed it'll happen with the next iPhone.

Besides, that gives me time to save up the small fortune it takes to buy one. 

leedorney
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Yeh strange how they've held out on the usb c party, hanging onto the fire cable..let's face it apple are famous as they're soo expensive and people feel that brings value and quality when it's simply not the case

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

iPhone brigade!

If you use Mac for computing, then having an iPhone simply makes it easier to sync everything i.e. all contacts, email etc.

That's not to say that there is anything wrong with Android. I acknowledge that vast numbers of people use that OS and are very happy with it.

Isn't it great to have the choice ! A real "first world problem" !

PeterSm_1580201
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Phones - I love thinking about them!

I'm an Android person. I don't have a Mac and never had an iPod so when I looked at getting a smart phone, I didn't see the point in spending two or three times the amount. I also had an odd requirement - offline sat nav functionality. I actually had a Nokia as my first smart phone for that reason. Then shifted to Android when it was at version 2.2 and Nokia had given up on Symbian. I had a bigger screen for less cash. And at the time, a replaceable battery was important to me as that's what often kills off a device - they're not worth fixing once the battery goes. Oh - and an SD card - cool.

I did enjoy messing around with custom ROM's for a while and writing a simple app.

These days though, all phones have fixed batteries and the Pixel phones I'm going with now don't have an SD card. I've even given up on the 3.5mm headphone jack with the latest one. Android is also tightening up on permissions - getting closer to being an iPhone in many ways!

Some of the features listed in the original post apply to Android too - photos and text messages are visible on any web browser as well as your phone. I agree with a lot of the advantages of Apple - the updates and device support are much better. You even have more choice of iPhones with the bigger screens and the budget friendly versions too. If you have a Mac, it's the obvious choice.

Both systems have come a long way and I don't see the big difference now.

KenFowl_1094372
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Had phones provided by work for years as they developed from bricks. Then a decent android and most recently an IPhone SE.

Having had the iPhone there was no going back to android for me and now retired I use an iPhone 13 Pro Max and my wife my former iPhone 12.

Can’t see any point in upgrading again for several years though. Maybe the iphone 18?

triageuk
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I think while Steve Jobs was alive, Apple were the pioneers and innovators. Since his passing, I feel Apple represent the followers and catch up artists. I feel you pay the premium to have a device that is a year or two behind modern Android Flagships. I am not a fan of Samsung per day, but as their advert says "we wait, it is what we do, we wait".

So if you want market leading, open source, unregulated apps and non branded accessories get an Android. If you want safety, restricted, 2 year old tech which is fashionable, get an iPhone. Just my thoughts.

Peto_Peter
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Oppo Reno8 Pro 5G best smartphone just for £360 has everything what overpriced phones 

Astrophsica
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I'm an Android fan. I find that android allows for great customisation and apps typically include advanced settings. My parents have iphone and found that for non tech nerds, it's a great device.

However, I am a tech nerd and find iphone very limiting. On top of this, I like the option to repair my own device without too much cost. I have replaced my phone screen 3+ times and found it fun to do for a cheaper price!

I will however say that apple commitment to updating devices, including phones that are several years old is outstanding. Android phones may get varied support, with the highest typically being 4 years. My phone (OnePlus 6T) unfortunately does not get updates anymore, but still runs great after owning it since December 2018. Hopefully I can get a few more years out of it before needing to replace it.

Richard_1587184
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

For years, I have gone with Sony Ericsson and Sony phones, only swapping to a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini, which I thought was pretty rubbish to be honest. My last Sony smartphone, the Sony 5 had issues with the fingerprint recognition and needed to be rebooted at least once a day to solve it. I then decided to go back to Samsung and get a Galaxy S21 5g 128gb about 15 months ago. This have been the best phone I have had by far, so much so that where I would upgrade the Sony roughly every 12 months due to a performance drop, I am still using the Samsung, and do not look to upgrade it just yet as it is running the latest version of Android and it is still performing well.

I've never had one but my wife only just got rid of her Samsung S8! Still working well but the battery packed in. I replaced the battery but thought it was time to update so got a refurbished S21+. She loves it

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Android... S21 Ultra owner here and I'm happy with it!

DavidRa_1216926
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

For me it's the vast range of handsets available running Android, the relative flexibility of the platform and integration with all the Google services. Having said that I do use an iPad as I've never found Android on a tablet anywhere near as slick as an iPad. Integration and availability of Google services on the iPad is sufficient to keepe happy. But, on a phone it's android all the way for me and I have had a work iPhone in the past and whilst it did what it was meant to very well it just felt very restrictive as I like to tinker with different launchers and so on.

ScottHatley
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I was always an iPhone user. Went to Android because it was cheaper. However I just didn’t like the look of it. Spent 2 years trying to unsuccessfully make my Android phone look like an iPhone. Back on iPhone as of 2 weeks ago and I couldn’t be happier!

Wardysays
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I’m an apple person for all the reasons mentioned above. I had the first android phone and the first iPhone and I dabbled between the two.

I found Android is too temperamental. For example, a long time ago I got on a 2 hour train trip with 97%. Didn’t use my phone and when I got to where I was going it was 8%. I needed to find a shop with a charger and find the random app draining my battery! 

IPhone 13 Pro/iPad Mini 6/AirPods Pro/Apple Watch Ultra

Looks like you never used settings in android for that to happen 

You must've had everything on...

Jonatha_1759863
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I used to be android but then got a MacBook which a) just works and b) lasts so much longer than windows laptops. I have a mid 2014 pro that still works just fine. 
From that it was only a small leap to getting an iPhone and finally an iPad Air. Yes it’s all expensive but everything syncs. On top of that, customer support is amazing. Will never go back to windows 

PeterC
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Android - cheaper and a more diverse range of options

leedorney
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

...remember those Windows phones 🙊 😁

Jomac
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Android all the way with me and I wouldnt consider any Apple product because of price and how you are locked in to whatever you have bought with Apple. I did read some time ago that Android and the Android operating system has now overtaken Apple in sheer numbers. I've played with a couple of Apple devices and wasnt impressed. To use a quick comparison between Android and Apple, consider Android to be free life in the west and the Apple system very much like communist Russia 😋 🤣

With the greatest respect- a free life in the west, are you having a larf govner? 

Well.........a lot free'er than the Gulags of northern Siberia....😉