cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switzerland charges

LesleyC_1438579
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I travel to France very close to the Swiss border every few months. I’m confused by the text message I get from Smarty when I unknowingly connect to a Swiss provider - it contradicts itself. Is it free to receive calls and texts or not? Please can anyone help? I avoid going online when I’m out of a Wi-Fi zone, but my Add on bundle disappears all the same. Thanks. 

“Welcome to Switzerland. It's max of 50p/min to call & 2p/MB data. To receive a call and send SMS is in bundle. You need an Out of plan add-on to make & receive calls/texts and get online. For full details visit free at https://smarty.co.uk/roaming” This 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

The problem here is that Switzerland is not one of the EU countries as far as the network is concerned.

When your phone connects to a Swiss network, you will need to pay for all use from credit that you put onto your account i.e. your standard Smarty plan will not work. If you connect to a French network, you will be able to use EU roaming i.e. use your standard Smarty plan for calls, texts and data (12Gb limit while roaming though).

The price guide: https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf shows on p18 & p19 that usage in Switzerland costs 2p per Mb of data and 10p per minute to make a call back to UK or in Switzerland. While on a Swiss network, calling anywhere else e.g. France will cost 40p per min. Receiving calls while on the Swiss network will not cost you.

One possible solution may be to stop the 'automatic network' on your phone and change to a manual connection to only the strongest French network. Thus would keep calls, texts and data within EU roaming on your standard Smarty plan.

Phew!! It is a bit complicated, but a quick read of the Price Guide should sort it for you hopefully.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

The problem here is that Switzerland is not one of the EU countries as far as the network is concerned.

When your phone connects to a Swiss network, you will need to pay for all use from credit that you put onto your account i.e. your standard Smarty plan will not work. If you connect to a French network, you will be able to use EU roaming i.e. use your standard Smarty plan for calls, texts and data (12Gb limit while roaming though).

The price guide: https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf shows on p18 & p19 that usage in Switzerland costs 2p per Mb of data and 10p per minute to make a call back to UK or in Switzerland. While on a Swiss network, calling anywhere else e.g. France will cost 40p per min. Receiving calls while on the Swiss network will not cost you.

One possible solution may be to stop the 'automatic network' on your phone and change to a manual connection to only the strongest French network. Thus would keep calls, texts and data within EU roaming on your standard Smarty plan.

Phew!! It is a bit complicated, but a quick read of the Price Guide should sort it for you hopefully.

wixfordhall
SMARTY Observer
SMARTY Observer

Hello from ex Swiss.  So YES, last time I went home to Switzerland  I was troubled to find that SMARTY no worky.

How upsetting.

If you were a Three customer then this is the price scale  

Essential_Plan_price_guide_170517.pdf (three.co.uk)

And you will notice that Switzerland is treated more favourably in this scenario.

Normally CH gets full EU benefits,  we  (in the UK) certainly give them these rights for entry etc.  Just that SMARTY does make the distinction.   

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

As Switzerland is not part of the EU, you need to buy a data add on. 

With this being SMARTY, you need to look at its own price guide, not the price guide of Three. Although Three is Smarty’s parent company, Smarty has it’s own scale of charges.

In this case, the geopolitical situation of Switzerland, and it’s relationship with the EU does not matter.

https://smarty.co.uk/roaming/international/switzerland?gclsrc=aw.ds&gad=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD8otYvG6o_kwr... 

IMG_1102.png