cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short code text messages

NicolaS_1506339
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Hi, I need to send a text message to my bank to authorise a payment. They use a short code number and my texts are failing. Does Smarty support short code text numbers?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

At the current time, Smarty does not support short codes.

This article has more details : 

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/952515-are-all-texts-free-with-smarty-plans 

I recently moved over to SMART

Y but didn't realise you cannot text to competition short text numbers. I even put £10 add on to my account thinking that would solve it but after reading this and other entries I find SMARTY is unable to support these type of transactions. I'll be going g elsewhere soon!!!

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@NicolaS_1506339 Not currently. From previous responses, it doesn't seem that they will change that in the very near future.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

IMG_0476.jpeg

Hi @NicolaS_1506339 @MSF 

I am currently on vacation in Phoenix.

Have bought an iPhone 13 mini.

So, having to download and install apps.

I am successfully receiving short code messages with 2 Factor Authentication codes etc whilst installing apps etc. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Could that be because your service is being supplied by a local network that does support short codes?

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Ah, good point. 

My Smarty SIM is roaming on T-Mobile USA. Although for data, I am using a ‘US Mobile’ eSIM on the Verizon network. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2 I'm obliged to my learned colleague for the explanation.....I rest my case M'lud!

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Smarty has always supported incoming SMS from (non premium rate) short codes - it's sending to short codes that isn't supported (although there are a few exceptions, such as texting 65075 to request a PAC).

@SmartyTrousers @With respect, customers are more concerned (and have complained more vociferously) about exactly that!

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I know - the point I was making was that receiving a message from a short code, as @JJP2 had, has always been possible on Smarty, and was not necessarily just due to the fact that he or she was roaming.

@SmartyTrousers  Receiving, yes but sending, no.

ChrisM
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just to add to this old thread...

I've just had a text from Barclaycard (from a 5 digit short code) for a security check asking me to reply with 'Y' if I recognised the last 3 transactions. I hadn't realised it wouldn't send and the transaction was then declined. Bit annoying.

@ChrisM  Unfortunately, this seems to be a recurring theme with certain organisations that use short code.