When I went to set up phone for roaming 

The APN was already set to MOB.ASM.NET 

do some phone set up automatically when you insert the sim 

8 REPLIES 8

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@Raymond_2195412,

Some phones will automatically set themselves up with the change in network.

mob.asn.net is all you need to set your APN to to roam in Europe, and will work normally in the UK, so no changes needed

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Raymond_2195412 As long as it is set that way, no worries. Could a previous owner have done it? Once it is set, you do not need to do it again anyway.

Betty_Swollox
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

My pixel 6a set up automatic, I reckon most modern phones do , all them instructions to change settings is confusing for customers.

Not all phones do set the APN to ‘mob.asm.net’

Its a simple change and not at all confusing. It’s a simple binary choice :

Is your phone’s APN set to ‘mob.asm.net’  ? If Yes, fine, you’re all set. If it isn’t set to ‘mob.asm.net’ then change it.

Yes I went to set it but phone had done it automatically 

my phone is a Samsung galaxy Note 10 5g 

@Betty_Swollox  Not at all sure that you are correct there. It really isn't that confusing - the vast majority of customers who roam seem to manage.

Had to get my head around these 'instructions' when I first joined as the wording made it sound as though the APN for going abroad is different to the one that should be used in the UK - it isn't. And the majority of customers won't really need to make any changes at all. The SIM usually has this info hard-coded or it downloads a config as needed when it connects to the network during activation. 

Older phones might have this info stored in the firmware which might be out of date so good reminder nonetheless before heading off.