cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only Sim vs Voice Sim

GaryJef_1776247
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have a 4g mifi device that takes any Sim.

I want to use this to connect my tablet to the internet.

My question is do I have to get a data only plan Sim or can I get a normal plan used for a phone?

Reason for my question is Unlimited data on the normal phone plan is on offer for £16.

The unlimited data only plan is more expensive at £20.

I just want to ensure I get the right plan

10 REPLIES 10

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

If memory serves, mifi usually need a full-size SIM.  If you already have a SIM that is in you phone, you would probably need an adapter,or a new SIM.

I would probably opt for the data only SIM, which you could probably get a 10% discount on if you already have a SMARTY SIM in your phone and "group" the 2 SIMS. This would make the data SIM a little cheaper.

It may be possible to do this with the normal phone plan SIM with the unlimited data, but this is just me being cautious.  Maybe someone else would have a more definite answer.

Thanks for the response Steven 

Maybe I will just try my phone SIM card in the device and see if it works ok.

Thanks again

ben1
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Did you ever solve this Gary? I too am wondering about this. The data only sims are more expensive than the voice sims, and offer less data for the prices

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@ben1 I agree that it is quite difficult to see the benefit in having a data only plan. 

I am not aware that a voice plan sim won't work in a device - it's always possible to hot spot from a phone to the device in any case.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Hi @ben1 @GaryJef_1776247 

YES, you can use a ‘normal’ phone sim within a tablet, I do this with my iPad Mini 6.

It works absolutely fine.

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Afaik someone mentioned to me that the data-only SIM has its number hidden but is in other ways no different to the usual phone-plan SIM - if you just pop that into your router it'll work the same way as if you were hotspotting directly from your phone for example .. so you should be good to go straight away. Also works from the price perspective. You're not going to use the SIM for calling anyways so no worries I guess.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Spot on @jassingh 

A data only SIM simply has its number hidden / switched off, but you can make calls and send texts through them. Smarty sells an add on allowing you to do just that. 

As per my other post in this thread, a ‘normal’ phone SIM works well in my iPad Mini 6. I believe, but haven’t tried it yet, that, if you use a ‘normal’ phone SIM in a tablet, whether Android or Apple, then you can make / take calls, and send / receive messages through WhatsApp, Signal and Telegram. 

IMG_1002.jpeg

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Interesting @JJP2 that bridges the gap between the two then - can users currently migrate from a 'data plan' to a 'voice plan' easily or nah? 

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

No definitive idea, but I THINK it should be easy to migrate from a data plan to a voice plan, because :

1, Data only SIMs merely have the number hidden / switched off

2, Smarty allows you to purchase an add on to make calls and send texts on a data only SIM, so the number must be live - AFAIK, there is no instruction telling you to contact Smarty to “switch the number on”

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@GaryJef_1776247 @JJP2 @jassingh @Strandloper @ben1  Unfortunately, this seems to be yet another example of things being made far more complicated than necessary these days.

I am seeing it with lots of companies and so this is not a direct criticism of Smarty, bless 'em.

My 'conspiracy' theory is that companies get someone in at a senior executive level and then expect them to suggest a radical measure that may contribute towards an increase in the 'bottom line' e.g. wonga, spondulips, dinero, call it what you will. Said employee makes a radical change which, if successful, may lead to further bonus/promotion and if unsuccessful will lead to an invitation to depart their desk with a large payoff.

Happening far too often I believe.