Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Watch e-sim

CraigFlow
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi,

I’m just wondering whether SMARTY has any plans to introduce e-sim smart watch ads ons in the near future. I’ve recently purchased a cellular Apple Watch and don’t want to move away from the SMARTY network, but may have to begrudgingly do this if nothing is on the horizon. 

Thanks. 

Craig

28 REPLIES 28

triageuk
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I was wondering this for my Android Wear watch also. 

devonplace
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I'm looking to get an Apple Watch (AWU), but have held off until this is supported. I know that Three now support this so hopefully it will come to Smarty soon. 

Wardysays
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I hope so. This is the main reason why I’ve got my phone on 02 with my APU! 

IPhone 13 Pro/iPad Mini 6/AirPods Pro/Apple Watch Ultra

Kiz_weir
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

As the smart watch community is growing at a rapid pace is smarty going to beat the competition and supply the consumer what we want. I don't want to go to Vodafone or O2 as they provide the service to use my tech. Can we as consumers get an insight on how long it will be?

This is the Smarty community forum, we don’t work for Smarty, we are customers just like you, so won’t have any knowledge re Smarty deploying eSIMs. 

DanielHi_120845
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Still no answer from Smarty? That seems a little rude to just ignore a question. I'd like to know the answer also, as it will affect which watch I buy in the next week or so. Thanks in advance.

This is a forum that admittedly does have some employees as members/moderators etc but it is probably not the best place for answers to questions of strategy.

I would suggest taking up those issues with the Support Team via email or web chat and then they may be passed up the "food chain" to the decision makers.

I emailed the support team about this but all they could offer was it was u see negotiation but couldn’t give me a time scale at all! 

@SarahCa_1432899  I am not surprised at that response. It is consistent with what they have been saying for at least a year.

Little likelihood of Three UK and SMARTY Mobile offering an eSIM option anytime soon @DanielHi_120845.

To use an eSIM, the mobile network operator needs to allow remote provisioning, which means investing more in their network infrastructure and IT systems.

Given Three UK, and other UK operators, are investing billions in 3G switch-off, 4G enhancement, and 5G deployment, my guess is that eSIM support isn't on the radar.

Three already do. I've had it for about 6 months.

Hi  DanielHi_120845

It is something we are looking into but we do not have a release date for this yet.

Ok, thank you, I'll look out for an announcement if it becomes a viable option. 🙂

DanielHi_120845
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thank you both for such quick replies, it helps me decide which route to go down with my smartwatch purchase. 😊

zemrodrigues
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Any news about e-sim yet?

No, come back in a couple of years.

TomHu
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

three have it, why doesn't smarty? i'm going to have to switch networks

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I have a Series 7 cellular Apple Watch.

When I was on “EE” , I paid £7 a month to have eSIM capability on my Apple Watch…Fortunately, it was only a 30 day rolling contract, as the novelty of doing a “**bleep** Tracy” and taking calls on my watch soon wore off, and I dispensed with it. 

Try it by all means, but for me at least, the reality didn’t match up to the hype. 

EDIT - The bleep was for the name of the cartoon detective character “D i c k Tracy” absolutely no smut intended at all ! 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  I agree - taking calls via an Apple Watch is an over-rated pastime. You walk around in something of a Hunchback of Notre Dame pose while shouting "Sorry, missed that - say again!"

Must admit, bought my Apple Watch with Ee: disappointing that most of the things I wanted to use, weren’t supported via cellular. It’s ok if you have Apple Music but forget any other music streaming (eg synology nas). Unless things have changed..

id like it back but end of day, it’s mainly for texts when I’ve forgotten phone. No huge loss

Spotify and Amazon Music also support streaming direct on the Watch.

lpil
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Hi everyone! Could someone confirm if it is possible with Smarty currently? Thanks

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey lpil,

We unfortunately do not have e-sim's just yet but we are looking into it.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Really @Rebekah_150 ?

Thats great news, hope it comes to fruition. 

Visual voicemail would be great too 🤞🏻

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Hold back on the nose-bleed due to excitement! The response was the same at least as far back as March this year.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

😂😂😂

That would be great, because Smarty's parent company (Hutchison 3G UK Ltd) supports Apple Watch why not Smarty yet?

Any update on this?