cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM lack of support on SMARTY

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I know this topic has been raised numerous times on the Community thread, but I wanted to raise this again on the vague hope that SMARTY see this, and reconsider the stance of eSIM provision.

I have been with SMARTY for quite some time and it works well with my Apple iPhone 14 Pro. I am considering upgrading my phone in September 2024 to the Apple iPhone 16, which if the rumours are correct so far…then this will be the one of the many “new breeds” of mobile i.e. WITHOUT a SIM tray, and so SMARTY will no longer work on it. 

I have messaged the technical team today to see if there are any updates on eSIMs …and the was given the same longstanding message that this“may” be considered in future.

There are many MVNOs now offering eSIM options now…Lebara, Lycamobile, Spusu,

IDMobile (Also, runs on 3) etc…so I guess I will have to move across to another provider if SMARTY are unable to provide this, which will be a shame, but this would be a dealbreaker for me once I do upgrade my phone.

I do feel that eSIMs need to be brought up the list of priorities now for SMARTY, given manufacturers are now all starting to remove the SIM trays from new models…and other MVNOs are aware of this and starting to offer eSIM solutions.

4 REPLIES 4

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Michael_T  I note that this is shown under 'Ideas" https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/ideas/idb-p/smarty-ideas and has been tagged as "Investigating". "Great", I hear you say!.....butthen it has been tagged that way since June 2024 and still nothing has happened.

At the end of the day, Smarty will be considering how many customers they are likely to lose if there is no e-sim. Currently, I think that would not be many and even with the possible lack of physical sim tray in the iPhone 16 that still will not amount to many customers to lose.

For the majority, an Esim is not a 'must have' and I think that's what it comes down to on a 'budget' MNVO

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Yes, the hit will be small on the iPhone 16, but this is just one manufacturer… Google have done this, and many others are now starting to follow suit… so, it is a question of time before this does become a real problem for SMARTY.

Most of the other UK budget MVNOs are now offering eSIMs with little to no price change.  Call me a cynic, but with the timeline this has been a topic of discussion (years), I would beg the question that “cost” is the only  factor in play here that is holding back eSIM provision on SMARTY.

IDMobile seem like the best option to move to if SMARTY do not come up with a solution soon.  They also run on 3, similar perks and costings and do offer an eSIM.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Centurion
SMARTY Centurion

I plan on upgrading to an iPhone 16 Pro this year. If it’s esim only, I will simply switch me and the family over to iD Mobile.

@WelshPaul As the iPhone 16 isn’t far off release now, rather than wasting time and efforts waiting for a maybe/maybe not and my next payment coming out, I’ve taken the plunge this evening and ordered an eSIM from IDMobile.

I was very impressed with the speed of setup.  My new service with them was up and running within 5 minutes of completion of the forms!  So, I now have dual SIM service.  I’ll port my number over in due course, but I just feel saga around eSIMs isn’t likely to be resolved with any real speed, given the track record on the discussions around this so far over the past few years…

It is a real shame, because I would have remained with them, because otherwise the service I’ve experienced has been very good overall.

I do hope SMARTY can resolve this matter and make their provision “future proof” for other customers going forward, but for me the current uncertainty around this is a real deal breaker.