cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not Up your game @Smarty. physical SIM cards to eSIMs be introduced to Smarty's serv

ZeroManYT
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

In the vibrant landscape of telecommunications, the potential adoption of eSIM technology by Smarty heralds a new era of convenience, security, and environmental stewardship. This leap forward promises seamless carrier switching, allowing users to effortlessly navigate between networks, a boon for international travelers and those desiring the utmost flexibility in their connectivity.

The eSIM technology also introduces the capability to house multiple phone numbers on a single device, blending personal and professional worlds with unprecedented ease. Such a feature is invaluable for the modern user, who navigates diverse roles requiring distinct communication channels.

Moreover, eSIMs stand as pillars of sustainability in the digital age, eliminating the need for plastic SIM cards and their accompanying waste. This shift not only reflects a commitment to innovation but also to ecological responsibility, aligning with broader global efforts to reduce environmental impact.

Security is enhanced with eSIMs; their embedded nature offers robust protection against physical threats, coupled with the ability to remotely manage and secure devices. This provides users with peace of mind, knowing their digital identity is safeguarded.

As we edge closer to widespread 5G adoption, eSIM technology positions Smarty at the forefront of the telecommunications revolution, ensuring readiness for the next wave of network evolution. This strategic move not only promises to enrich the user experience but also solidifies Smarty's role as a forward-thinking provider in a competitive landscape.

6 REPLIES 6

DenM59
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I agreed 100%. My daughters just both received their new iPhone !5 phones and as we know Apple no longer support physical SIMs. We spend much of the year in the USA where every carrier and MVNO seems to support eSIMs for all plans including pay as you go and prepaid. Smarty use the 3 network who support eSIMs for some of their  plans so they obviously have the technology but they have chosen not to adapt for all plans. Ultimately Smarty will loose customers including my daughters.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@DenM59 iPhone 15 purchased in the UK certainly does support physical sim.

DenM59
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

MSF thanks for the information. We purchased our iPhones 15 Pros in the USA and they have not offered a slot for the physical SIM since version 14. This means Smarty have no great incentive to support eSIMs but they should be aware that anyone with a newer iPhone from the USA can no longer use their service. I will continue to use Smarty on my Samsung.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@DenM59  To be fair, most people in the UK will not be buying their iPhone 15 in the USA, so unlikely to be a major issue for them.

I can't help wondering if their is some hidden cost of doing business involved in providing esims - why else would they not offer them?

jonnyphone
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

mod delete

jonnyphone
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

indeed the iPhone 15 models sold in the UK and Europe (International Version) still support physical SIM cards - but for how much longer  ?  with two generations in the US now without a physical SIM card tray (14 and 15), the writing is on the wall for physical SIM card support on the International Version, maybe as soon as the 16 later this year. Operators have had enough time to implement this.

Do three PAYG support eSIM now ? I think VF enabled this recently for PAYG customers, that's a stepping stone. 

Naturally there are concerns about supporting this feature, but in the end it can all be done from the SMARTY app with zero touch from support desk.

EDIT: from three site:

Can I get an eSIM on Pay As You Go?

Yes, eSIM is available on Pay As You Go. New and existing customers can get it by calling our Contact Centre or visiting one of our stores. You can see if your current device is compatible by checking our device support page.

Wonder if it's worth getting an eSIM pack from a Three store and porting your SMARTY plan to it. might not work, but some trick like this works for VOXI customers using a Vodafone PAYG eSIM pack.