cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification text/email to login - TOO MUCH, TOO OFTEN

Decembersangel
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Anyone else fed up of the the verification text/email that is sent almost EVERY time you sign in online?? 😤😠😠😠 Even when you tick the 'Remember this browser' box!

WHY?????? We have already verified our email address and we have to input a password to logon so why is this needed at least each week!! Once every 3 months is acceptable but EVERY week?? 😞

I have NEVER known ANY other website that needs this much 'verification'  🤔😞. I can (possibly) understand verification for the main account page, which has sensitive payment account/card details (even though other websites with sensitive payment details don't do this), but for a Community page?!?!? 🙄😶 

Come on SMARTY shouldn't a password be enough for determining validity?? If not then put in the usual rules for a good password i.e. 1 Capital letter, Must be minimum 8 letters, 1 symbol, 1 numerical character etc

This is getting to be too much, annoying and very frustrating as I keep getting this EVERY weekend when I login to have a look on the Community page to see what is what 😤 

PLEASE stop this insanity!

11 REPLIES 11

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I prefer to have the extra verification step every time. Like with logging into my bank account, I don't enable "Remember this device" option. I see it as buying me extra security[1]. But that's me. I agree those that want it   ought have the option to switch some of the options off.  

[1] Mind you, if people were able to see how much is in my bank account I very much doubt they'd bother trying to hack their way in. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Decembersangel  It seems that two step verification is becoming the norm to protect data in general.

I must say that, although it can be a bit irksome, overall it is a good idea.

If someone else were able to break into your account (perhaps because they had cracked your password) there is a possibility that they may cause 'mischief' by posting things in your name. Don't forget that anything posted could be the subject of libel proceedings - yes, I know it's a bit extreme, but remember recent WAGS case!

Christi_2049336
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Because I can’t receive verification codes as texts since joining Smarty have to ask for email. Fed up already after only 2 days!

@Christi_2049336  Depends upon the organisation. Banks, HM Govt.,NHS, Smarty etc verification codes come through with no problem. It is only if the organisation uses short codes (or sometimes if they work through a third party) there is an issue.

Tascha
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @Decembersangel - do you have a passcode or security step set up to open your device? If not then we will ask for the verification code each time you log in, even if you select the 'remember this browser' option. However, if you set up a security step such as a passcode for the device you're using then we won't ask for the verification code each time!

RonGreg_2061671
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I totally agree with you about this,  I'm new on Smarty but I'm getting fed up everytime I come to log in verification code  again.

@RonGreg_2061671 @Tascha  I don't fully understand this problem. If I do not sign out, then I can sign in again without needing a verification code. 

If I fully sign out of the website, then I am asked for a verification code. I wonder if this is also a browser issue. In my case, I use Safari.

Tascha
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

@MSF If you don't actively sign out then that's correct, you should automatically be logged in again the next time you visit if you've selected the 'remember this browser' option.

If you've selected 'remember this browser' and have a security step set up on the device you're using--such as a passcode--then you shouldn't be asked for the verification code when logging in. Please see below for exceptions to this:

Tascha_0-1684914166464.png

Thanks @Tascha . Yes, I think that was the point that I was trying to make. I did wonder if they were logging out fully each time and then naturally being asked to verify when they next log in.

As you say, it depends upon how you are securing your machine.

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I realise different people access things on differing platforms eg computers and phones… I find using the app on my mobile gets around the constant need for the 2FA.  
My phone is an iPhone, so when you log in there’s a box you tick to remember your details (before you enter your password).  

I’ve also turned on Face ID in the app settings.  So, I open the app and I’m straight into it, no second authentication needed.  The only time I need to do this is when the app has a major overhaul, and logs me out.

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

IMG_7882.jpeg

IMG_7884.jpeg

 Privacy & Security, turn on Face ID…and opens without the need to 2FA