Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USSD / MMI CODES NOT WORKING

THOMAS-P
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Good afternoon all.

I have a Samsung S23 Ultra, and i have noticed that lately the codes that you would use for say

"getting your imei code"   *#06# has stopped working for me

Usually when you dial into your phones keypad it would immediately bring up your phones IMEI Number, but this is not the case for me, and even if you type it in and press the "dial button" i am presented with a message which says "USSD CODE RUNNING", followed by " CONNECTION PROBLEMS OR INVALID MMI CODE"

Having googled this, and tried various solutions, i am no further forward.

Most things point to Network issues or Sim card issues, but i am using my phone with none of these problems

I have also tried resetting network settings,airplane mode on/off fix,tried running in safe mode incase of app issues,adding an extra prefix code, swapped the sim card to sim tray 2, but to no avail.

If anyone could advise if they have ever run into this issue, or could offer some guidance on a fix.

Thanks

Tom

8 REPLIES 8

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Isn't the device's IMEI number shown in various other places in the Android settings app, @THOMAS-P

What happens if you search for IMEI on your S23 Ultra?

Yes it is. I am only using this code as an example as it's the most commonly known one. There are dozens of short codes that can be used, but I am unable to use any due to this ongoing issue.

Thanks 

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

I'm not an Android handset user, but the *#06# short-code works with my SMARTY SIM card in my iPhone.

What've Samsung advised about their S23 handset, and the processing of GSM short-codes, @THOMAS-P

Hi,

Nearly all these short codes are universal across all networks and handsets.

Samsung

Without in-house analysis of the handset, could only advise of a possible software glitch, but advised more than likely it's related to Network settings / Network signal / or issues with the Sim card.

Friends with the same handset are not experiencing the same issues as I have, but none are on the smarty network.

If they lived locally to me I could have tried my SIM in their phone to see if the issue is possibly "SIM related".

What am hoping for is another user on the forum with the same handset, and obviously on the smarty network to check to see if they are having any issues themselves.

Last resort is a complete wipe and reinstall of the current operating system 

Thanks 

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Do correct me here @THOMAS-P, but my understanding is an USSD / MMI code is interpreted by the handset first; thereafter, the corresponding command is sent to the operator's network. 

I've tried the *#21**11#, *#30#, and *#31# shortcodes, but none of these worked - although I've used the #31# shortcode to hide my number, on more than one occasion.

Perhaps my handset isn't generating the correct commands, or maybe the MVNO SMARTY Mobile only provide limited support for USSD / MMI codes.

Your absolutely right in this regarding your phone interprets the command,which in turn is interpreted by the mobile network.

It's making me wonder if it's just down to smartys network setup not having the support for this .

A will try and pick up a payg SIM card from a major network to test this theory

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Hey @THOMAS-P, I saw somewhere online a mention that USSD / MMI can be problematic when you're using a dual SIM capable handset. Could this be true?  

Hopefully your experiment with a PAYG SIM will be insightful.

No joy with EE PAYG sim card on this.

Will head back to Samsung customer support, as i cant figure this out