cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speed 5g 4g

AbdulHa_1758822
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have a pixel 6 pro and in an area covered by 5g. My download speeds are extremely fast but struggling to get passed 1mb on upload. This is the same wether I'm on 5g or 4g.

How can I improve my upload speed? 

12 REPLIES 12

BrianPai_181111
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I am exactly the same, see no-one can help.

BrianPai_181111
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Went onto their support and answer was expected upload speed on 5g is 50mbps but that was it - no help offered at all.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

A little research brought up an article that may be informative (if not exactly helpful):

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/02/ookla-warns-of-declining-uk-5g-mobile-broadband-speeds...

Without reading the article I'd like to add today I'm getting less than 2mb download. Uploads is a mere 0.5mb. 

Why is it soo bad, surely you don't expect customers to expect this level of service. This is extremely bad. 

The article in the link given by @MSF didn't tabulate upload speed across the UK networks with 5G capability.

Are you getting the same down/up speedtest results in lots of different locations @AbdulHa_1758822

Don’t forget that your speeds can be greatly affected by buildings or geographical features e.g. being ina valley.

Whether it's 5g or 4g, I always had terrible upload, download in the last few weeks has been better, since a few days ago download is crawling at less than 2mb. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Chalkychap  I was merely signposting to the article which explains that 5G speeds in the UK may not be what people were led to expect.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Okay thanks @MSF .
The reply posted by @AbdulHa_1758822 suggested they hadn't looked at the online article by ISP Review, about 5G network performance.

Hello sorry about the late reply. There is no need for me to read the article. I've already stated that download is reasonable at over 100mb but upload speed of less than 1mb is just not acceptable. Like I mentioned reading an article of 5g is irrelevant if my upload is as slow as I stated. 

I'm sure you can accept that the speed is slower than what is acceptable so please try to help resolve the issue rather than say have I read the article.

Nathan
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Network speeds can vary drastically that is expected. However seeing that your upload is no way comparable to your download is strange.

I would just like to know what tools you are using for speed testing and if you get the same results from different tests. 

Without testing the device I could only suspect that this may be a firewall/data restriction on the device. Can you ensure that your device is not putting data caps on upload and potentially try a different speed testing service.

Low upload speeds would be more apparent when video calling. If you can test that and are able to communicate via video call that would suggest to me that your upload is in fact a lot higher than you suspect.

If you haven't done so already please reach out to the web chat team for some trouble shooting.

peppebi
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Same problem here. Download speed is very good, network reliable and no issue. The problem is upload. In the best case scenario I can get 2mb, more likely around 1mb.