cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost text messages

BarryBe_1914166
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I ported over to Smarty from Virgin yesterday but I’ve lost my text messages . Is there an easy way to get them back?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

The text messages should be on your phone @BarryBe_1914166.

Did you change your mobile phone when you started using your SMARTY SIM @BarryBe_1914166?  

View solution in original post

Well would you believe it, just switching my old phone on has automatically made the texts appear on the new phone. I guess it somehow updated the new phone from the iCloud.

Thanks Chalkychap 👍

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

The text messages should be on your phone @BarryBe_1914166.

Did you change your mobile phone when you started using your SMARTY SIM @BarryBe_1914166?  

Hi Chalkychap, 

I actually changed my iPhone a week ago so I guess I may of lost them then without noticing. 
I just switched the old iPhone on and sure enough they’re still there.
Do you know if there’s an easy way to get them from the old phone to the new one?

Well would you believe it, just switching my old phone on has automatically made the texts appear on the new phone. I guess it somehow updated the new phone from the iCloud.

Thanks Chalkychap 👍

I believe you can set the 'old' iPhone to save texts in iCloud, from the "Apple ID" section in the Settings. Under "APPS USING ICLOUD", you can backup Messages app texts. You'll need a Wi-Fi connection for the 'old' iPhone to do this.

Once your texts are in iCloud, you should able to get them on your 'new' iPhone by changing the Settings on your 'new' phone.

Alternatively, make sure you have got the same version of iOS on your 'old' and 'new' iPhones, then:

1. Factory reset the 'new' iPhone.
  2. After the factory reset, use the copy from 'old' iPhone, when you setup your 'new' iPhone - all your texts will be copied over to the 'new' iPhone.

When you set up a new iPhone (and already have an old one), the option comes up to copy over all from the old phone to the new one - think it may use the Apple airDrop system to move it across. 

Having done this for myself and for family, it works very well indeed. One or two apps sometimes need to be loaded up and 'retrained', but it saves a whole heap of work.