Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling - SMS

MathewB_1845146
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Hi,

Quick question does anyone know if having Wifi calling enabled on your phone will also increase your chances of receiving and SMS (text message)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Try this article:

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/4277656-what-is-wifi-calling

Looks like you should be able to receive SMS over wifi calling.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

WelshPaul
SMARTY Centurion
SMARTY Centurion

No idea, I have Chat features enabled so all my SMS go out over Data/WiFi.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Try this article:

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/4277656-what-is-wifi-calling

Looks like you should be able to receive SMS over wifi calling.

Doesn’t work

I've been using the SMARTY Wi-Fi Calling service, since I joined SMARTY.

It's proved to be reliable in my location, which helps me because I'm living in a mobile not-spot. 

Years ago, I was using the Three UK "inTouch" app to call and text using Wi-Fi networks, although this has been superseded by their Wi-Fi Calling service.

BlueSmarties
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Verses a low/no signal yes. If only you can stop the phone from constantly swapping between great wifi signal and terrible network cell signal.
That's the major drawback as Smarty sim's seem to think it's better to have zero bars than a perfectly good wifi connection.

Jonatha_1830281
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Does not work unless you have Mobile signal.. so totally useless if you have no Network signal… ie OFFSHORE ! Disappointed!

The Wi-Fi Calling service is only available in the UK.

I rely on the SMARTY Wi-Fi Calling service at home.
My handset is in "Airplane mode", so no mobile signal, and I can call & text as normal.
I think SMARTY's Wi-Fi Calling is marvellous, especially as I'm living in a mobile network not-spot.

To be fair, it works if you have access to a reasonable wifi connection somewhere, not necessarily a mobile network signal. The point is to allow users who have no mobile signal, but perhaps have a landline connection with wifi, to still use the mobile network

Presumably the offshore company do not provide some form of wifi like cruise ships manage?