cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How far in advance of a trip abroad...

StephenHQD
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

...should / can I change my phone settings to ensure it'll work when there, but also still be able to use it in the UK before I leave.

Ideally, I'd like to have the maximum amount of data available should I need it when away (for maps etc)

Thanks guys

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach
15 REPLIES 15

Tascha
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @StephenHQD the settings required for using the SIM abroad are the advised settings we recommend using--whether using the SIM in the UK or whilst roaming--so you can go ahead and check/update them now and you'll be all set for when you go abroad plus the SIM will still work here in the UK.

Thanks Tasha. I have set up the new APN but was not sure it would work in the UK. I'll go ahead and change to it now 

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I second what @Tascha said, the APN in my phone is permanently set to 'mob.asm.net' and it works just fine here in the UK.

StephenHQD
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks both. On checking my settings (menu / steps to get there are a bit different) everything appears to be set as is required already, except for the name which says SMARTY rather than 3.

Is that ok or an I missing something?

I need to be sure this phone works before I go. Many thanks  

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

You are using the Smarty network, so leave it as Smarty. (EDIT : Instructions below say leave it as 3)

What phone do you have ?

https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/faq/setting-up-your-ios-device-to-work-abroad/ta-p/7918

https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/faq/setting-up-your-android-device-to-work-abroad/ta-p/7919

StephenHQD
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

The APN type says - default,mms,supl

Should I remove that? 

Ive changed the name to 3.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Thats normal.

Would change the name back to what it was. Smarty ?

StephenHQD
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Motorola G30

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

StephenHQD
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I went back in to change the name back & it had reverted to Smarty anyway. I'll check out those links above. Appreciate your help (& patience!) ๐Ÿ‘

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

You're welcome, thats what we are here for.

Donna081417
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I don't believe you have to chance settings l thought phones these days auto did it you normally get a message like Welcome to Spain etc upon trying your phone on when you arrive

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Michael_2429361
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

When I change both my APN's to mob.asm.net then select reset settings , my mobile data reverts back to three.co.uk?

I'm doing this while in the UK, but will be spending time in Spain shortly. My plan is 200GB.

Thanks.

@Michael_2429361  The network is actually Three. The main point is to have the APN set to mob.asm.net. Don't forget that you will be restricted to 12Gb of roaming data while in the EU.