cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming in EU complaint

MartinH_1764359
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I have been checking my data useage religiously since last Sunday. Yesterday I had used 1.8 gb of data .. the today driving across spain i had a problem connecting so i selected a different network from the lost becayse the signal was so poor. This eveing just after 21:00 you messaged to say that suddenly i have used more than 10gb of data .. for the past hour ive had no signal and yet now you claim i’ve gone over 12gb of data .. How is that possible??????  I feel completely mugged! This smarty 12gb in europe is obviously a scAm am d I sm going to complain to the regulator about your ‘fast practices’ and warm others not to switch to you. This is appauling service!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @MartinH_1764359 When roaming in the EU SMARTY only has an agreement with the networks you use/ I would expect something like what @MSF has stated would be correct - depending on your device you can check what has used your data when roaming. Another top tip would be to downlaod maps over WiFi before you head off on your journey, this saves a ton of data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@MartinH_1764359  Don't you think that you should check your devices first to ensure that they have not carried out an update over mobile data.

I really don't think that it is a scam. If that were the case, I'm sure that the Regulator would have had multiple complaints and taken action by now.

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @MartinH_1764359 When roaming in the EU SMARTY only has an agreement with the networks you use/ I would expect something like what @MSF has stated would be correct - depending on your device you can check what has used your data when roaming. Another top tip would be to downlaod maps over WiFi before you head off on your journey, this saves a ton of data.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Further to what @George and @MSF has said, maps apps are known to be data heavy.

The problem a lot of people have is that because they cant "see" data being used, like when streaming music, browsing the web, etc , they dont realise how much data some other services and apps use, in particular maps apps, such as Apple maps, Google Maps and Waze. 

Long drives of course consume a lot of data

Read this article for more :

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/How-Much-Data-Does-Google-Maps-Use