Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problem when being called from an iD Mobile network phone

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Hi all 👋

So, every Wednesday my Mum calls me from her mobile (to my mobile) but for the last 4/5 weeks she has had a problem with it connecting as her call keeps getting immediately directed to my voicemail (without my mobile ringing) but when she calls my landline it calls straight through 🤔🤔. Sometimes it takes her over 3 attempts for it to properly connect to my mobile and it 'rings through' to me. 😤 We both have Nokia phones on 4G and there wasn't a problem before then. Nothing has changed and I prefer talking to her on my mobile as it is clearer in it's connection, although the only option maybe to call my landline but what IF I'm not at home and she needs to contact me 😶.

Has anyone else had a problem/experience with this type of thing?
Any advice on how to narrow down where the problem is i.e. my network, her network, phones etc?
Ta kindly for any help or advice! x x x

15 REPLIES 15

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Odd situation, especially as Smarty and ID Mobile are both MVNO’s on Three. 

Not experienced anything like this myself.

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@Decembersangel,

As with @JJP2,

I've not experienced this either, my Dad uses iD, and there's no problem connecting calls either way.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Can’t edit my initial post for some reason. 

Just a thought - Would be worth checking whether the three network masts, as in three being the network used by Smarty & ID,  not a numerical number of masts, near you and your mum are undergoing any maintenance. 

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Thanks @Strandloper @JJP2 👍
And @JJP2 I have previously checked if the '3' masts were under maintenance, after a phone call, and all appeared to be OK (at both my mums and my location) via the SMARTY website, This was my 1st thought but for the same thing to happen the same day every week at the same time in the evening 🤔?!?!?
Ah well, looks like it's just 'one of those things' 😤🙄😂 

Has your mum recently switched to ID mobile from another network ? If so, I wonder if calls are initially being routed through her old network’s infrastructure, which is causing a bottleneck / delay of the call.

@JJP2 my Mum has been on the iD network for as long as I can remember although she had changed tariff but that was a LONG time ago before this problem started happening 🤔 🙄
One thing I forgot to ask her..... if she has this problem when calling anyone else and if not then it is obviously a problem with SMARTY or my phone 😤 but AGAIN how do I narrow it down??? And if I had anyone else to call me and they did(n't) have the same problem I STILL don't know how to determine where the problem lies!! ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! 😂😂😂

It will be difficult to narrow down, as essentially, you are both on the same network, Three, as both Smarty and ID Mobile are MVNO’s on Three.

As you said, ask your mum whether she only experiences the issue when calling you or whether people on other networks are affected.

Only thing I can think of is can you use an old phone, borrowing one if it’s possible, for a few Wednesdays, to see whether the problem persists when your mum calls you. If not, it’s your current Nokia. If it does persist, it’s quite possibly your mums phone. 

Thanks @JJP2 👏
I have asked my Mum if she has had the same problem when phoning others but because I am the only person she rings the most often and on a regular basis from her mobile she has never encountered this problem before 😤
I don't have access to a 'spare' unlocked phone to see if it's mine (and I can't afford to replace it) and the only other phone I do have available is locked and not worth the £ to unlock it and so I'm still at a loss how to narrow down where the problem lies. My Mum tried 5 times to phone me last week and she didn't even get diverted to my voicemail as it just went to a message stating my number couldn't be reached 😠
I'm now wondering how many phone calls I may not have got because of this problem!!
Why don't you think it's a problem with the '3' network seeing as we are both on it? My Mum lives in a quiet urban area whereas I live in a city centre so she would be less likely to have a 'connection' problem compared to the 'heavy use' of a location, like mine, that is highly populated where a mast would have a higher level of traffic.
THIS is why it's difficult to narrow it down as there are so many different factors to consider 🙄
Thank you kindly for your help and guidance with this, it is greatly appreciated, but I think that the actual answer to the problem will never be determined x x

If it was the network, then this issue wouldn’t just affect calls between you and your mum, calls to and from other people would be affected too.

I have had this problem for a couple of months. I have tried 3 different phones, a new sim with the same number, a new sim with a new number, changed my router and still I have the same problem. Support were no help at all and it looks like all that is left to do is leave smarty 😕

Sounds like a network routing issue, @AlanSul_1500073. Perhaps your issues started after the Three UK core network failure last December. 

Your problem might have started around this time. 
🤔

My phone and my wife's phone sometimes tells us that the person is on another line? 

I recommend speaking to our customer services chat as they will be able to suggest appropriate troubleshooting steps and escalate to our technical team if need be https://smarty.co.uk/contact is available daily from 8am – 8pm.

i tried .

AlanSul_1500073
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I don't know if this is nothing more than a coincidence but after weeks/months of elimination I wondered if the problem was when there is no signal WiFi calling was not kicking in quickly enough. So I changed my router again and it seems to have cured my problem. Hopefully it is sorted permanently 🤞