cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3G to be removed? This is why it shouldn't!

Quin452
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I was on the phone to a tech support company in London.

With 4G enabled, the call cut out every 2min 5s.

When I turned on 3G only, I was able to complete the call (a whopping 25min).

I can see the call logs, and SMARTY, you can too.

So tell me again why it's a good idea to turn off 3G?

And yes, 4G is "supported" in my area.

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

There was a piece about this on BBC early today.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I understood that it was only the data that went over 3G/4G/5G and not the call itself.

Regardless o the above, if networks are to put effort into getting 5G running, it is probably going to be at the expense of 3G as it would prove too expensive to main tin all the levels.

I do understand that SIM cards in many pieces of equipment e.g. cars use parts of 3G and even 2G networks and so that may prove to be another problem.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

I forgot to mention.....

Smarty will be rather at the whim of 3 Network and may have little say in the matter.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

It's the Government's idea, so you'll probably need to take these issues to your MP @Quin452.

Switching OFF the UK's 3G networks has been mandated by the UK government, and must be completed by 2033 I believe.  

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

4G voice calls are voip based and use the 4G data connection (VoLTE). If you turn off VoLTE and make a voice call, you lose 4G signal and the phone connects to 3G in order to initiate the call. So, any data related issues in your area and this will have a negative impact on any calls made or received via 4G.

So to clarify, a true voice call can only be completed over the 3G network, and any voice when connected to a 4G or 5G network use your phones data connection (VoLTE).

JamesSmi_405477
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

@Quin452's issue isn't unique. VoLTE is rubbish on Three and in no way as reliable as what 3G used to be.