cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a router abroad

GinaJOL_1367577
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have a router which I use in the UK and  I want to use it abroad. I understand the principles (data limit, etc), but all advice talks about phones. Can I assume this includes routers too? This may sound naive, but can someone just confirm it? Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

the_owl_0v0
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi,

Assuming you are using a data sim that is valid in the country in question, then check the router you wish to use supports the frequency bands and standards of the networks/countries you want to connect with. Some info here: https://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

There are different bands and sub bands for 4G and 5G, of course don't confuse this wit the 5G WIFI compatability! 

As an example, the Huawei h112-37x 4G/5G unlocked routers differ mainly on channel band support.  The more bands, the more countries/networks it will work with.  All you would need to do is swap to a local carrier SIM if your Smarty package isn't available and roaming isn't an option.

This is the main consideration as this is a broad question, hope it helps point you in the right direction for further research for your particular circumstances. 

View solution in original post

Thank you. That's very helpful. I have an unlocked Huawei I want to try in France. So I'll give it a go with my data package. (What confused me at first was that all advice was aimed at phone users for calls and texts.) Thanks agin for your help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

the_owl_0v0
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi,

Assuming you are using a data sim that is valid in the country in question, then check the router you wish to use supports the frequency bands and standards of the networks/countries you want to connect with. Some info here: https://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

There are different bands and sub bands for 4G and 5G, of course don't confuse this wit the 5G WIFI compatability! 

As an example, the Huawei h112-37x 4G/5G unlocked routers differ mainly on channel band support.  The more bands, the more countries/networks it will work with.  All you would need to do is swap to a local carrier SIM if your Smarty package isn't available and roaming isn't an option.

This is the main consideration as this is a broad question, hope it helps point you in the right direction for further research for your particular circumstances. 

Thank you. That's very helpful. I have an unlocked Huawei I want to try in France. So I'll give it a go with my data package. (What confused me at first was that all advice was aimed at phone users for calls and texts.) Thanks agin for your help.

Jomac
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

A router with a 4G SIM should work well in Europe but a fixed data charge for roaming will apply

Thank you.  Very kind of you to respond.  I've been using a French router but stopped the contract (very good non-contract service but I was going to be away for a few months), and want to use my UK-unlocked one to fill in for a few days while I get a new French service when I go back. I'm going to give it a go. I reaiseI've got to configure the SIM for foreign use. All the best and thanks again!

A couple of years or so back, I did go abroad and took my router with me. At that time my SIM was with the THREE network (Who own Smarty) and my use of data was seemless, I didn't have to set anything up other than choosing the network.

GinaJOL_1367577
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thank you. Because I just have a data plan I have to set up the SIM before I go. And I'm limited to 12gB of data a month, which will be OK until I set up a French service.