Faye
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

How can I use my plan in the USA? 

10 REPLIES 10

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

You'll need to purchase an out-of-plan add-on to use your SMARTY plan in the USA @Faye.

In addition, to use mobile data in the USA you'll to setup the APN as detailed in the online help article:

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/2045756-setting-up-your-phone-to-work-abroad 

When I looked at roaming costs for the USA, tears came to my eyes, and these were not tears of joy. 
Anyway, I decided to purchase a data only eSIM to use for mobile data in the USA, at a reasonable price. You can always just stick to free Wi-Fi networks, and WhatsApp or something similar.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

It is as @Chalkychap says. In short, you cannot use your Smarty plan, but need credit on your account to pay for all usage while in the USA.

The costs are horrendous at £1.00 per Mb for data (YES, per Mb) and £2.50 per minute for any calls. Take a look at P18 - 19 of the Price guide for the horrid reality! : https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf

Many places will offer a wifi connection

It says £0.10 now per MB - has it changed?

It says it's 10p per MB now - has it changed?

SteveHough
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Just looked at price guide link as above - unless I'm misreading, Data in USA is 10p per Mb ?

You did not misread it unfortunately! Better to find sources of free WiFi where possible.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@kcsunshine73  @Faye  @JulianB  I owe you all an apology!! I was reading the rate for US Virgin Islands which is band 3. The USA is band 1 at 10p per mb….still horrendous in any case.

If your phone takes it, look for an esim or consider buying a US sim if you need one.

JulianB
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

If travelling out of the EU I recommend buying an eSim for data which are very reasonable. 

kcsunshine73
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Does anyone have any idea how much data maps/waze and similar use as I want to use my phone as my satnav when driving...?

Depending on the length of your drive(s), you can consume a LOT of data. 

You would be far better off purchasing a travel eSIM from the likes of Airalo or Holafly, or a local SIM / eSIM from MVNO’s like “Tello” or “US Mobile” 

If staying for three months, “Mint Mobile” could be a consideration, as you prepay for three months in advance. 

The good thing is that, you can buy SIM cards for Tello, US Mobile and Mint Mobile through Amazon, who will deliver them to your UK address, so you can get the SIM cards before you live for the USA. Having done this myself, SIM cards take about 2 weeks to reach you in the UK.