cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update required

CallumB
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hello, I set up an iPad for my mother in law and everything with her smarty sim worked really well… until last week. 
now, it tells me ‘an update is required to use mobile data on this ipad’.

it’s not an iOS update but a carrier (smarty ) update. But how can I get past this in order to use the mobile data? Wi-Fi works great.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@CallumB I have just asked my good friend Señor Google. He in turn asked his good friend Señor Apple. I'm not sure if you have seen and tried the following (my apologies if you already have without success): 

1. Make sure that your device is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to install your carrier update.

If you set up a new eSIM or insert a new SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you might need to download the carrier settings for your new carrier.

To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier. To see additional carrier information, tap the version number. To verify that you have the latest carrier settings installed, contact your carrier."

View solution in original post

CallumB
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Step 3 is where it fails :(. When I try to get to update carrier settings, it doesn’t allow me/give me an option to update my carrier settings and I’m trying to ‘push it through’.

I think something is wrong with the SIM card, but I don’t know.

‘thanks @MSF 

@CallumB If you feel that you have a duff sim: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1215834-what-to-do-if-your-sim-card-gets-lost-or-stolen

Don't forget that the existing account will be suspended (for security reasons) until you activate the replacement.

CallumB
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks @MSF , I think it must be that, nothing else seems to be working.

thanks so much for your time, and for the link for the link.  

8 REPLIES 8

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@CallumB I think that you will need to have a web chat with Support Team to resolve that. I am not aware of any carrier updates that happen on a phone using a Smarty sim, so cannot see why an iPad should be different really.

Are you sure that the iOS is up to date?

CallumB
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi @MSF , thanks for the reply.  I’m pretty sure it’s a carrier update, when I do an iOS update, to 16.5.1, it downloads (on wifi) but then when it tries to install it gives an error that “you are no longer connected to the internet”, so that’s why I was thinking again it was carrier related blocking as it needs an update.  

wildly confusing, so that’s why I am thinking it’s carrier as the lowest common issue,

thanks!

@CallumB I'm a bit confused too !🤔

If you are downloading the update over broadband wifi, then surely the sim mobile data is not involved. Can you turn off Mobile Data to see if it makes any difference?

CallumB
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

If I try to toggle mobile data on or off,  I get an error ‘an update is required to use mobile data on this iPad”.  That makes me think about an error with the mobile carrier…smarty.  Sigh.

I appreciate the questions @MSF 

@CallumB I have just asked my good friend Señor Google. He in turn asked his good friend Señor Apple. I'm not sure if you have seen and tried the following (my apologies if you already have without success): 

1. Make sure that your device is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
  2. Tap Settings > General > About.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to install your carrier update.

If you set up a new eSIM or insert a new SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you might need to download the carrier settings for your new carrier.

To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier. To see additional carrier information, tap the version number. To verify that you have the latest carrier settings installed, contact your carrier."

CallumB
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Step 3 is where it fails :(. When I try to get to update carrier settings, it doesn’t allow me/give me an option to update my carrier settings and I’m trying to ‘push it through’.

I think something is wrong with the SIM card, but I don’t know.

‘thanks @MSF 

@CallumB If you feel that you have a duff sim: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1215834-what-to-do-if-your-sim-card-gets-lost-or-stolen

Don't forget that the existing account will be suspended (for security reasons) until you activate the replacement.

CallumB
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks @MSF , I think it must be that, nothing else seems to be working.

thanks so much for your time, and for the link for the link.