cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'unknown' IP address on new log in emails

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Hi. Has anyone come across the  'New log in' emails, where an 'unknown' IP address is mentioned in the device details box. This address is certainly not mine, and the same one appears on every email regardless of where I log in. 

unknown (2.126.47.136)

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.42.10 pm.png

I'm assuming that the aim of the email is also to include where you logged in from - so showing the correct IP address could be helpful, if ever needed.

I went to search for an older email to see if this has always been the case - I found one at least back in July 2022 where I saw two different IP addresses for a) one login on my my Macbook, and b) another from an Android device and as expected both IPs shown were different. Here it always seems to be the same.

Does anyone know if this has ever worked? It looks some internal IP address maybe related to Smart infra? 

I did feed this back to Smarty support but I've not heard back since, or maybe they just didn't understand what I was saying.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@jassingh,

All devices that connect with the internet will be attributed an IP address.  With static/conventional broadband the IP address will frequently be static (the same) for a specific device.

With mobile devices the IP address can change due to loggins through a different phone mast, WiFi device etc, though once logged on the IP address often stays the same until logged off the system, allowing system tracking.  This tracking does not provide personal details, or what the device is doing on the internet, but will provide approximate location and time.

There are ways/apps that can provide your device(s) with a "fake" IP address.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@jassingh  I usually Safari and have not seen that. Yesterday, I needed to use Chrome because Safari was playing up and I did get such an email; I didn't note down the details but thought it odd.

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@jassingh,

All devices that connect with the internet will be attributed an IP address.  With static/conventional broadband the IP address will frequently be static (the same) for a specific device.

With mobile devices the IP address can change due to loggins through a different phone mast, WiFi device etc, though once logged on the IP address often stays the same until logged off the system, allowing system tracking.  This tracking does not provide personal details, or what the device is doing on the internet, but will provide approximate location and time.

There are ways/apps that can provide your device(s) with a "fake" IP address.