cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer number from one smart sim to another.

AlanMil_2471920
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi all. I've just transferred my old number from 3 into my new smarty £20 unlimited sim. However I realise I have the data only sim. So can I change the sim to unlimited everything outer do I have to get another sim and can I transfer the number to the new SIM.

The prices are fantastic but trying to get any type of help I'm finding very frustrating

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@AlanMil_2471920 Although not 100% certain, I think it is possible for Smarty to 'turn on' the voice and message functions for a data only sim. You would then obviously need to buy a different plan next month.

You will need to web chat with Support Team to be sure.

View solution in original post

AlanMil_2471920
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks guys I just managed to talk to support and they are activating voice and text at the next billing date. Thanks for your replies.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Doubt that's possible @AlanMil_2471920 - especially because SMARTY sell a calls + texts add-on for their data-only SIM plans. 

Most UK service providers seem reluctant to allow their SIM cards changing 'type', e.g. pay monthly to PAYG, or data-only to calls, texts and data. 

You'll probably need a new SMARTY SIM, accompanied by the hassle of switching the number you want to keep from the SMARTY data-only SIM to another provider, then back to your new SMARTY SIM. 

Do the people at Smarty watch these threads? Seems crazy to transfer my number back out to another provider to transfer back into smarty instead of just moving from one sim to another.

@AlanMil_2471920 Not sure that Smarty spend a huge amount of time reading threads, although they do have Moderators keeping an eye on things.

I'm not sure that it's any different with other providers allowing a change on number between their own sims.

I don't think they do, @AlanMil_2471920

SMARTY are setup to be a low-overheads, no frills operation - hence no telephone support amongst other things.

I'd imagine that internal number transfers are probably the preserve of business, not consumer, customers. SMARTY only offer consumer accounts, @AlanMil_2471920

LESS SMARTY, MORE malarkey... 🤔 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@AlanMil_2471920 Although not 100% certain, I think it is possible for Smarty to 'turn on' the voice and message functions for a data only sim. You would then obviously need to buy a different plan next month.

You will need to web chat with Support Team to be sure.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@AlanMil_2471920  I have managed to find something:

All SIM cards need to have a phone number in order to work. So your Data Only SIM will have a number assigned to it. However, as you don’t pay for calls and texts this functionality is turned off.

The suggestion therefore is that it can be turned on.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

That's interesting @MSF

On my SMARTY dashboard, for my data-only SIM plan, there isn't an option to change to a NON data-only SIM plan at the point of renewal - perhaps the change plan options would be different if calls + texts were enabled.

That said, not sure how the calls + texts add-on for a data-only SIM plan can work, if the customer needs to ask for these services to be enabled. 

It seems to be a area with shades of grey.

@Chalkychap  I didn't see it as an option on the account - I rather think it's something that can be done by the Support Team on request. I'm not sure why it is such a secret.....perhaps we can settle for the most common answer - "Oh, we've always done it that way!"

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

It all seems a bit of a puzzle, @MSF

You can buy an add-on for UK out-of-plan calls + texts, or for international calls + texts. Are the additional services automatically activated on my account (with the data-only SIM plan)? 

If calls + texts services aren't started automatically, then my add-on is effectively useless, unless I speak to the SMARTY customer service team.

@Chalkychap Yes, it's all a bit puzzling.

I read it as the data sim having calls and texts turned off when it is registered onto the system. I therefore assume that no add-o calls or texts would work until somebody "switched on" the feature in the overall system.

But then you know what happens if you **bleep**-U-ME anything.......🤡

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

LESS SMARTY, MORE malarkey...
🤣

@Chalkychap  Aaaaaargh! The world's gone mad!!!! I can see that, when I tried to break down the word 'assume' into component syllables in a poor attempt at humour (Trainer's Handbook page 1) it found the first syllable unacceptable! I suppose I could have written DONKEY/MULE-U -ME , but that may have lost something in the translation?!?!

AlanMil_2471920
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thanks guys I just managed to talk to support and they are activating voice and text at the next billing date. Thanks for your replies.