cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message problem

GerryCa_1759194
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I recently started using smarty, and I received my SIM with the new number, so I transfered my old number to here, but when I send a text, my new number shows up on the receiving phone, even though I transfered my existing number to here, and if I get a reply, they can send it to both numbers and I'll still receive the text

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

You may need to check the settings on your phone. It should show 'My Number' somewhere (depends if iPhone or Android) and you should change it to show the correct number.

It is sometimes incorrect as the phone picks up the number from the sim when you insert it - in this case it is possibly the number that came with the sim and it did not register when you transferred your own number over to the phone (because the sim didn't physically change).

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

You may need to check the settings on your phone. It should show 'My Number' somewhere (depends if iPhone or Android) and you should change it to show the correct number.

It is sometimes incorrect as the phone picks up the number from the sim when you insert it - in this case it is possibly the number that came with the sim and it did not register when you transferred your own number over to the phone (because the sim didn't physically change).

Hope this helps.

GII
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have the same problem and I can't change the number in Facetime or Imessage, do I need a new SIM?

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

it should just be a setting issue, if you try the below it should help 

Update your phone number:

1. Go to Settings > Name, Phone Numbers, Email > Contactable At
  2. Choose Edit
  3. Enter your chosen number, using +44 instead of the first 0
  4. Tap Save

Reset iMessage settings:

1. Go to Settings > Messages
  2. Toggle iMessage to OFF and then back to ON
  3. Once iMessage has been activated, scroll to Send & Receive to check if the right mobile number is ticked

Reset FaceTime settings:

1. Go to Settings > FaceTime
  2. Toggle FaceTime to OFF and then back to ON
  3. Once FaceTime has been activated, scroll down and check if your mobile number is ticked under You can be reached by FaceTime at

There is no option in setting to change my phone number it just says unknown

Do you have an iPhone or Android?

Kind regards, Alec 

I'm having the same problem as you having just moved over to smarty, my calls are going out on my old number but texts on the SIM card number and mine is showing as unknown too. Very confusing.

Mine is android.

I have done this and turned off phone and back on again and it makes no difference, iMessage does not work. The number is correct as I have checked this also.