cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarty FORCED FIRMWARE UPGRADE

MrAye
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

So I put my Smarty sim in my 5G MC801A router, and it’s force installed Three firmware, locking me out of features and now I can’t keep 5G signal on a full 5G signal on any other network as the router keeps forcing me to 4G. 

Even selecting 5G by forcing it is a cumbersome task. 

How do you plan to resolve this? A MVNO should not be force installing firmware on behalf of its Mobile Network Operator on any customers devices, especially given Smarty does not provide ANY devices to customers. 

To say I’m peeved off is an understatement. 

Can you explain why this has happened & how you are going to resolve it Smarty… 

7 REPLIES 7

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

We are Forum members just like you and so cannot explain the company’s actions ( if it’s down to them).

Why not have a webchat with the Support team as they may be able to provide more help.

MrAye
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

@YulianK @Michael_T 

I’m a forum member, just like you.  It sounds like you need to speak to the support team, as the previous person suggested here.

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

This is nothing to do with SMARTY, SMARTY didn’t force any firmware update to your ZTE MC801A.

@WelshPaul It does so, the Three network doesn’t differentiate between Three & Smarty as a MVNO (?? 🤪) therefor Three will force a router update through either (which it shouldn’t) Three official support has confirmed this but said you have to raise the matter with Smarty. 

A absolute fail by Smarty to not disable automatically updating Three devices, it legally isn’t authorised to do such to a consumers non Smarty devices. 

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Where did you get the router? It was never sold in the UK with generic ZTE firmware, it was only ever supplied by Three and Vodafone (as far as I remember) and came with network branded firmware. Yea I know, you can purchase said router on the likes of eBay or Amazon, but such units have modified firmware and were original networked locked/supplied devices.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

I guess SMARTY don't sell handsets and mobile broadband devices in order to reduce their support costs.

This might preclude SMARTY from stopping firmware updates to devices, originally locked to Three UK's network. Could this firmware update have been intended to fix critical security flaws in the given device's firmware?