cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short code text messages

NicolaS_1506339
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Hi, I need to send a text message to my bank to authorise a payment. They use a short code number and my texts are failing. Does Smarty support short code text numbers?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

At the current time, Smarty does not support short codes.

This article has more details : 

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/952515-are-all-texts-free-with-smarty-plans 

I recently moved over to SMART

Y but didn't realise you cannot text to competition short text numbers. I even put £10 add on to my account thinking that would solve it but after reading this and other entries I find SMARTY is unable to support these type of transactions. I'll be going g elsewhere soon!!!

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@NicolaS_1506339 Not currently. From previous responses, it doesn't seem that they will change that in the very near future.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

IMG_0476.jpeg

Hi @NicolaS_1506339 @MSF 

I am currently on vacation in Phoenix.

Have bought an iPhone 13 mini.

So, having to download and install apps.

I am successfully receiving short code messages with 2 Factor Authentication codes etc whilst installing apps etc. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2  Could that be because your service is being supplied by a local network that does support short codes?

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Ah, good point. 

My Smarty SIM is roaming on T-Mobile USA. Although for data, I am using a ‘US Mobile’ eSIM on the Verizon network. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JJP2 I'm obliged to my learned colleague for the explanation.....I rest my case M'lud!

Smarty has always supported incoming SMS from (non premium rate) short codes - it's sending to short codes that isn't supported (although there are a few exceptions, such as texting 65075 to request a PAC).

@SmartyTrousers @With respect, customers are more concerned (and have complained more vociferously) about exactly that!

I know - the point I was making was that receiving a message from a short code, as @JJP2 had, has always been possible on Smarty, and was not necessarily just due to the fact that he or she was roaming.

@SmartyTrousers  Receiving, yes but sending, no.

ChrisM
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just to add to this old thread...

I've just had a text from Barclaycard (from a 5 digit short code) for a security check asking me to reply with 'Y' if I recognised the last 3 transactions. I hadn't realised it wouldn't send and the transaction was then declined. Bit annoying.

@ChrisM  Unfortunately, this seems to be a recurring theme with certain organisations that use short code.

Harry_2659500
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Yep, this has happened to me too. I have a virgin credit card and it's now declining all my transactions because I can't reply to the security text confirming that the transaction is valid.

Virgin doesn't seem to have an alternative, and neither does Smarty, so one of them is going.

I get that there are costs with short code messages but my phone already warns me of that automatically. I'm not a child, I expect my phone company to allow me to send a text message if I want to. I will be leaving Smarty as soon as possible. I'm currently stuck overseas without my preferred credit card available.

Harry_2659500
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Ironic twist, the credit card I use to pay for Smarty requires these short codes. It is now declining all transactions until I reply to the short code, so Smarty's own policy means Smarty cannot be paid.

This needs to be changed, it's ridiculous.

@Harry_2659500 This point has been raised frequently over a long period but for whatever reason, Smarty have not actioned it yet.