cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recycling of "old/older" phones and other technology

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Yesterday @MSF mentioned consigning an old phone to the graveyard.

I've just replaced a Fairphone 3, which I used for 4 years, with a Fairphone 4.  Fairphone claims to use as much conflict free metals (such as gold among others) in their phone as possible.  They also make it possible to swap out batteries, cracked screens etc, and phone users are easily able to do this themselves. My old phone is being recycled too.

Have people considered the possibility of recycling phones, either through electronic waste and/or refurbishment for this country and third world countries?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Strandloper  I am hoist by my petard !!! Seriously, I did have my tongue firmly in my cheek at the time.

In my defence, I have usually sent old phones to recycling companies and, more recently, passed them to youngsters in the family as first phones (battery power is usually sufficient as they are turned off while at school).

If you happen to be a lover of things Apple, then it's not as easy to do repairs etc.

View solution in original post

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I have not gotten a phone through a mobile network for many years. 

I always recycle my phones, having used the now defunct “RPC Recycle” for years, and latterly “Music Magpie”, as the money received offsets the cost of new phones. 

Would be great if more manufacturers followed the example of Fairphone. 

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

This may change in the not too distant future, as EU will soon mandate that all mobile phones sold in the EU must allow end-user replacement of the phone battery.

4 REPLIES 4

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Strandloper  I am hoist by my petard !!! Seriously, I did have my tongue firmly in my cheek at the time.

In my defence, I have usually sent old phones to recycling companies and, more recently, passed them to youngsters in the family as first phones (battery power is usually sufficient as they are turned off while at school).

If you happen to be a lover of things Apple, then it's not as easy to do repairs etc.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

This may change in the not too distant future, as EU will soon mandate that all mobile phones sold in the EU must allow end-user replacement of the phone battery.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

I have not gotten a phone through a mobile network for many years. 

I always recycle my phones, having used the now defunct “RPC Recycle” for years, and latterly “Music Magpie”, as the money received offsets the cost of new phones. 

Would be great if more manufacturers followed the example of Fairphone. 

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@MSF , I thought you might have your tongue in cheek, but your comment started off a train of thought overnight.

As a Quaker, I'm very much aware of trying to look after our planet, but also trying to reduce conflict too.

@MSF  and @JJP2 getting phones used to their full potential, whether that is passing phones onto younger family members and/or using resellers is a good thing (to me).

Hopefully Fairphones use of user repairability will be something that other manufacturers will adopt.