cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recycled Phone Number

Nichola_2434806
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I received my sim and new number from SMARTY last week and I'm assuming it's a number that has been recycled. Since I got it I have received several phone calls and text messages that are presumably meant for whoever had the number before me (things like confirmation and collection codes for an Argos order, power cut updates from an energy company, etc). Some of these, like the order confirmations, don't have any way of unsubscribing and although I can block a number once I know it's incorrect, I can't stop them calling in the first place. 

I completely understand that phone numbers have to be recycled, but surely there must be something I can do to stop receiving these messages and calls, as it's incredibly frustrating to keep picking up the phone I pay for to field calls and messages for someone else. Can anyone give me any advice please?

1 REPLY 1

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Nichola_2434806 I believe that the industry standard for recycling numbers is 6 months. It does seem odd that you are receiving those calls and texts. I wonder if someone has forgotten to update details on accounts that they hold.

Apart from blocking those numbers, I'm not sure there is much you can do- other than to ask Smarty to change your number on the grounds of receiving a lot of nuisance calls/texts.