Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number porting didn't quite work - seeing old number sometimes

PeterSm_1580201
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi,

I ported my number to SMARTY back in December. I only just noticed that SMS's sent to Samsung phones will show the number that my new SIM originally had rather than the number that I ported to the SIM. It works fine for other phones - an iPhone and an oldish Motorola. They show the correct number.  And phone calls always show the right number. It's just SMS and just with Samsung phones (so far - I've found it happens on 3 different ones).

So somewhere, my phone still has the old number. I've checked the phone settings (Pixel 6 Pro) but it just says "Unknown" when I check the SIM number or the phone number. I don't know where the old number has been stashed.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PeterSm_1580201
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Contacted support on the web chat and they said to do this - 

Reset your network settings.
  1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap System Advanced. Reset options.
  3. Tap Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth.

That did the trick. There was some other stuff about setting things in the messenger app and turning off WiFi which I somehow missed and just did that last bit above. It does mean I have to get all the WiFi passwords again and re-pair my bluetooth devices though!  Ah well - sorted out

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Are you able to manually change the 'unknown' to the correct number?

PeterSm_1580201
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I've never been able to do that with android phones. In the olden days when I first switched over, I would put the SIM in an old dumb phone and I could do it there. Just got my old dumb phone charging up now! Wish I could remember where I put the SIM adapters so that I can put the micro SIM in the old big slot!

PeterSm_1580201
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Contacted support on the web chat and they said to do this - 

Reset your network settings.
  1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap System Advanced. Reset options.
  3. Tap Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth.

That did the trick. There was some other stuff about setting things in the messenger app and turning off WiFi which I somehow missed and just did that last bit above. It does mean I have to get all the WiFi passwords again and re-pair my bluetooth devices though!  Ah well - sorted out

This problem mysteriously came back! 

This time, the steps above didn't work. This time I had to reset the messenger app chat features so that it made me reregister the number.

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/device-phone-support-26/messages-wrong-and-right-numbers-50057