cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My number is being spoofed

DavidAc_1842864
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

How do I stop this as I can’t seem to talk to Smarty about it. 

11 REPLIES 11

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@DavidAc_1842864,

What do you mean "being spoofed"?  I know of several things that can be described as "spoofing"!

@DavidAc_1842864,

If the spoofing is too much for you, consider getting a new SIM and using a completely new phone number for yourself.

Yes, it's a hassle letting everyone that needs to know what your new number is, but should get rid of the spoofer (unless it's someone you let know (not nice to consider))

Someone is using my number to make calls to people I don’t know. I therefore get people ringing saying why do you keep calling what do you want. 

WelshPaul
SMARTY Centurion
SMARTY Centurion

You cannot stop someone spoofing your number. It's actually pretty easy to do too! I've had the ability to choose whatever number I want to use as my caller ID since 2004. 

Thanks that means there is nothing I can do? I have had the same number for over 20 years and as soon as I join Smarty it starts being spoofed?

Nobody has cloned your SIM, nobody has access to your SMARTY account and you are not being billed for any such calls! They (whoever they are) are simply spoofing their caller ID to show your phone number. So, to the person receiving the call, it looks like the call is being made from your device, but in reality it was made over a VoIP trunk probably somewhere in India. There is plenty of information about number spoofing on the internet, including OFCOM's website.

In the meantime, all you can do is wait for whoever spoofed your number to move on (they will soon), or change your number.

That’s it just wait? Surprising nobody has a solution to this problem

@WelshPaul is absolutely correct, you just need to sit tight - When someone is spoofing caller ID to show your number, how can they be stopped ? Who knows where they are, they could be in any one of the 195 countries in the world, and will not only be using a VOIP system, but also a VPN, to hide their location. 

You either wait it out, or change your number. Sorry to be blunt, but that’s the long and short of it. 

You may also want to consider getting a second number for use with online based services like Deliveroo, Uber Eats, etc so that if that number gets spoofed in future, your main number stays clean. 

it’s highly likely that your number has been spoofed due to a data breach within a service that you use, which may never even become public knowledge. Free email services and food delivery services, amongst others, are quite often targeted for this reason. 

You have been unlucky, but there isn’t a magic cure all for this, except time and patience. Again, in future, especially online, be careful where you use your number. 

Read this article :

https://www.aura.com/learn/my-phone-number-is-being-spoofed 

Seems like a strange thing to do. I like most people never answer the phone to a number I don’t recognise. I am not sure what they hope to achieve?

@DavidAc_1842864  I must say that I do answer the phone always because there are times when people like hospitals, GP surgeries call with either an unusual or a withheld number.

That said, I am always ready to kindly suggest that the caller desists from bothering me and goes forth to make other arrangements. 🤔

@DavidAc_1842864  This is a real problem and unfortunately, @JJP2  @WelshPaul  are correct.

My wife and I have recently had loads of calls from a variety of landline and mobile numbers. They all purport to come from our mobile provider (not Smarty) who most generously wants to offer us a much better deal than we currently have with them. One of them didn't have the sense to use a fake UK number and we could see the +91 prefix for India - doh!