cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low data speeds

GlennWi_1380241
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I joined smarty data only sim in December 22 and had fantastic data speeds of around 20mbs.

Over the last 6 weeks the speed has dropped to 2 or 3 mbps.

Smarty website states they are working on the mast locally and some reduction in speed expected ( really a drop of 20 mbps)

I have been speaking via Web chat with India and have some 51 e mails of them apologising and saying they will sort it or re imburse me.

Well as of an hour ago they have said there's nothing they can do and to check back in a week to cancel.

This is not the service I signed up for a expect from a company that advertises they have 95% of the country covered

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

While I do understand your frustration, having 95% of the country covered means that there is service available - maybe not at fantastic speeds. Do bear in mind that many customers want to make calls, send text messages and pick up a few emails and some WhatApp activity, or similar, so those speeds may well be sufficient for many.

Smarty might have 90% + coverage, but the signal / data  use is extremely poor. Not fit for purpose!! It is like it across the network spectrum 5/4g networks. 

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Seems this might be #LessSMARTY, #MoreMalarkey - online they appear to be referring to population coverage, not geographical coverage @GlennWi_1380241
🤔
Sometimes your local service might be degraded because of network faults, maintenance or other issues. 
Check for these online at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support

Chalkychap_0-1681238602680.png

I've had a maintenance issue for over 10-months at my location, which I suspect is linked with the Three UK 3G network switch off, due for completion by the end of 2024. Apparently, this will mean better quality 4G and 5G service from 2025 onwards.
🤞

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I had a similar experience. Like you I got poor response from India.
Later I spoke to Neha via the chat icon in bottom right of dashboard.
Neha advised I change my APN as follows (the quotes are for clarity only)...

Profile Name : from "3 UK" to " 3"
APN  : from "3internet" to "mob.asm.net"

I created a default APN with those two changes.
It speeded things up but I don't think it's as fast as when I first joined SMARTY, especially after 8 am. Hope it gets back to full speed when they complete the upgrade work they're doing on local masts.

@fuzzy  The article from Support Team does in fact suggest exactly those changes: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1155220-using-the-internet-after-you-ve-joined-smarty