cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egypt

LynHarde_828937
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Do I need to switch roaming on when I land in Egypt?

I only want to use data for internet and wifi calling (There is no 5G)?

Am I better off to but a local SIM when I arrive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@LynHarde_828937  IF you decide to roam there, you will need to turn data roaming on.

As you will not be in the EU, you will need to pay for all usage - details are in the Price Guide  https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf?_gl=1*chgdxq*_ga*MTU4MjA5NjUwOS4xNzAwNDcwODMz*....  See p19 & 20

You need to work out how many calls/texts you make and receive normally and also how much data (details should be in your phone settings and also on your account usage history. You will need to add credit to your account to pay for all of that.

You can price up a local sim, if your phone takes it, an e-sim and make a choice.

If you have access to wifi (hotels etc) then that may be sufficient for you - you can call via WhatsApp (other Apps are available!)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@LynHarde_828937  IF you decide to roam there, you will need to turn data roaming on.

As you will not be in the EU, you will need to pay for all usage - details are in the Price Guide  https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf?_gl=1*chgdxq*_ga*MTU4MjA5NjUwOS4xNzAwNDcwODMz*....  See p19 & 20

You need to work out how many calls/texts you make and receive normally and also how much data (details should be in your phone settings and also on your account usage history. You will need to add credit to your account to pay for all of that.

You can price up a local sim, if your phone takes it, an e-sim and make a choice.

If you have access to wifi (hotels etc) then that may be sufficient for you - you can call via WhatsApp (other Apps are available!)

I'm reading it that if I buy and add on then I'm covered for outside EU Capture.JPG

@LynHarde_828937 Yes, you will indeed be able to use that credit for outside the EU. However, bear in mind that data is charged at 10p per Megabyte - NOT Gigabyte....and a call is 50p per minute to make  back to UK and texts are 20p each. You also pay 5p per unite to receive calls.

I can see £10 disappearing very quickly that way! That said, useful to have on board for any emergency calls etc.