cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from regular plan to data-only?

RobinK
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I currently have a 3Gb money-back monthly plan which is only used in a data device, so I would like to switch to a data-only plan. On my dashboard the 'Change Plan' link only gives me the option of other Money Back plans or regular Voice Plans. Is it possible to switch an existing Sim from a traditional plan to the new data-only plan and if so how do I do this? Or should I just order a new sim for the data-only plan and then cancel my existing sim for the money-back plan?

6 REPLIES 6

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@RobinK ,

Does your current data plan still have time left? If so, you may have to wait until the plan ends, and then renew the plan.  I'm assuming you don't have your plan set to automatically renew.

The following may help:

I don’t see the “Change Plan” button on my dashboard

You can’t change plans until you turn on auto-renewing payments from your account settings. If you don’t wish to turn on auto-renewing payments, once your current plan expires, you’ll have the option to renew onto a different plan, if you wish.

Hi Steve - thanks for reply. Yes, the current voice/data plan has a couple of weeks remaining - I don't mind it switching after the current plan ends but while I can see the Change Plan link (I am on auto-renew), I am not offered the data-only plan options when I select Change Plan. So I am wondering if there is something special about the data-only plans which means you can't switch to them. 

@RobinK,

I've just checked on my account profile, and have already set my account to auto-renew.  Under "Manage plan" it gives (or should) the option to change the plan to any that are available (I'm currently on a voice & data plan, but had the option to change to a data only plan.

Steven

That's exactly the issue - the Manage Plan link under the dashboard view only offers me voice/data plans. So maybe there is an issue with the way my account is setup (I have had a sim for a few years). There is also a separate Manage Plan link under Account Settings but that only to do with pausing the current plan/leaving Smarty. Unless anyone else has any other bright ideas, I guess it is simplest to order a new sim and set it up as data only from the start.

@RobinK Rather than order a new sim, you could web chat with Support Team and they can look into your account.

RobinK
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

@MSF - thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping there was a simple answer before I get into a protracted online chat about this but I will give it a go before trying the new sim option.