Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cannot send mms messages

LindaSe_1853872
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

iPhone to iPhone normally uses iMessage and the limit is quite large. Using MMS, the limit is about 300Kb - https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1155220-using-the-internet-after-you-ve-joined-smarty - this article shows the settings.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Can you provide a bit more information so that we can try to help you?

Size of mms? Was it sent to a standard UK mobile?

jonnyphone
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Is it on an iPhone and by any chance did you have an eSIM before ? there is a long standing bug in iOS where the MMS toggle in Messages settings switches MMS on/off for the eSIM "mobile data plan" (even if deleted/removed) and not the SIM card "Mobile data plan". I've even gone to the hassle of resetting my iPhone to factory defaults and restoring from backup and the issue remains. I have logged this with Apple but remains unfixed, only way I get MMS to work with SMARTY SIM is to setup an iPhone from scratch, not restore from my backup, and never enable eSIM! If you have an Android phone or not used eSIM in the past then you can ignore all this.

Diane
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have an iphone and have now changed over to Smarty.  I am having problems sending MMS photo to my Auntie.  The MMS toggle is lit up green is good to go, looked at settings and everything looks good also.  Everytime I try to send photo it automatically says 'Not delivered'   I have tried to send photo to another auntie and it goes through fine although she also have an iphone....  I again try my sister on a samsung phone and no joy.  My auntie receives photos from her granddaughter fine.   Am I doing something wrong or is it something to do with Smarty to change?

Await replies please.
Diane

Diane
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hello LindaSe_1853872,

Wondering if you got this sorted so are to send MMS photos through okay now?

If so, could you let me know how as I may have the same problem now moved over to Smarty.
My iPhone is able to send MMS photos to one auntie who have another iPhone but not to the other auntie who has a different make phone.

Diane

iPhone to iPhone normally uses iMessage and the limit is quite large. Using MMS, the limit is about 300Kb - https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1155220-using-the-internet-after-you-ve-joined-smarty - this article shows the settings.

Kat_736
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi, I am having same problem, can NOT send mms animated smilies. I followed link above and checked data all seem the same. Strange as when I was with giffgaff all was great, could send MMS with animated smilies but now with not-so-smarty I get errors/just will not send with just animated smilies and also tried with small text like Hi or Hello still will not send. Normally text is fine and the basic smiley like a wink and text is fine and send. In coming animated smilies OK no problems. I was told it seem like smarty/3 has set file size to "Rock Bottom" and is set to minimum size. It needs to be raised, but I am no expert. If the limit is 300kb  and most animated smilies are around 837kb - it seem like smarty need to make file size send for MMS / Animated Smilies need to be higher 900kb or 1000kb hopefully this will solve many problem sending animated MMS smilies.

Kat_736
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi all, just to update: my partner has done plenty of reading and asked around: Now not-so-smarty as we all know is - Hutchison 3G UK Limited, trading as SMARTY. Now I have complained via emails, send screengrabs etc explained/asked why can I "not send Animated smilies (gif)  that's on my phone." The first thing they bombard me with is we do NOT block animated smilies. Right first off, I NEVER did say you block them. So emails have dried up and having no replies from not-so-smarty because they know what the problem is but saying they NEVER block smilies - But after plenty of research from my partner and asking around. Smarty/3g limit file size - so anything over about 500kb seem to be blocked/stopped/ return an error. It seem like MMS 288KB and 282KB was sent but 800KB plus seem to be blocked due to size. More testing in progress. Hope this help

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Looks like it's less SMARTY and MORE malarkey in this case. 
Can you not use WhatsApp?

why would i want to use whatsapp? it defeats the object. what you saying sent a sms via not so smarty and tell the person to go to whatsapp as i have sent a Animated smilies . How stupid would that be. I can not believe you come up with something so stupid.

You seem nice ! 

This is the community forum, we are customers, just like you, we donโ€™t work for Smarty ! 

If you stay with Smarty, hopefully you wonโ€™t have further problems, as people will probably think twice before trying to help, only to be barked at ! 

Kat_736
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi all, for those who have been having the same problem as me - Can not send MMS gif animated smilies or photos/pictures to your friends or family members etc. I been emailing back and forth with so many different smarty/3g staff but finally they have decided to "Come clean" and admit the truth. Here's the reply I got by email:

I have taken over this complaint from Jodie whilst she is on holiday. From investigating this further I can see you are correct in saying the reason you are unable to send these animated emojis is due to the file size limit on our end. To try resolve this for you, I spoke with our IT team, and they mentioned a previous case that was similar to your error, but unfortunately, they were unable to raise the limit for the file size on SMS.

I would suggest using a messenger app such as Whatsapp or Facebook messenger to send emojis like this as they wonโ€™t have a limit on the app.

I am sorry this wasnโ€™t the answer you were looking for but I hope this answers the confusion when you havenโ€™t been able to send a smiley face!

Hope this helps those with the same problem. It's strange as giffgaff for the same price allow.

@Kat_736 

A. They have not 'come clean' about anything. It is fairly common knowledge that there is a limit on file size for MMS - a quick Google search confirms that.

B. Suggesting that another member's suggestion was 'stupid' is not a good look - certainly not if you are thinking that people might help you in future!