cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G whilst roaming in Spain

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I can’t find any specific info on this in Q&A, so looking to anyone who has experience of this…

I will be going on holiday to the Canary Islands (Spain) and this will be the first time I will have used my SMARTY SIM outside the UK.  
Spain is one of the included countries for free EU roaming,  and the resort I am staying in has excellent coverage from all the 4 Spanish mobile networks, 2 of them offering 5G speeds. 

Will I still get 5G whilst there or will this be limited to 4G only whilst roaming?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Having just returned from Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands, I can confirm that data there is 3G and 4G (no 5G).  My phone used both Movistar and Orange networks whilst roaming there, and Orange gave me 4G speed more consistently.  
My phone didn’t use data excessively either.  I used hotel Wi-Fi and public Wi-Fi too (to keep my usage down), but out and about it was the same as at home.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

While I'm not exactly sure of there answer to this, it is worth bearing in mind that your roaming data in the EU will be limited to 12Gb.

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Thanks for responding.  Yes, I’m aware of the 12GB limit, and the necessary settings, which are on my phone already.  
The question is do you get the same 5G or just 4G?

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Done a bit more delving on this, and it looks like the Three infrastructure don’t support 5G whilst roaming, article here published December 2022

https://5g.co.uk/guides/5g-roaming-can-i-roam-abroad/ 

Thanks for this @Michael_T  A bit of further research:  https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_21_654

As I read it, If we were still members of the EU, we could expect to get the maximum available wherever we were in EU.

Since we are no longer EU members, I assume that networks are under no obligation to provide anything while we roam - indeed, they are not obliged to even provide free roaming in the EU. 😒

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Having just returned from Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands, I can confirm that data there is 3G and 4G (no 5G).  My phone used both Movistar and Orange networks whilst roaming there, and Orange gave me 4G speed more consistently.  
My phone didn’t use data excessively either.  I used hotel Wi-Fi and public Wi-Fi too (to keep my usage down), but out and about it was the same as at home.

I am in Gran Canaria and using SMARTY running for the first time I’m only getting 3G fellow speeds. Where is my wife who is on Giffgaff is getting a stunning 5G service.