cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Open Discussion] Do you use an eReader? Why or why not?

Tascha
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

As today is World Book Day, I thought it would be interesting to hear people’s stance on eReaders. 

A little while ago I decided I wanted to do more reading. I had a few books in mind that I wanted to read, although getting all of them was looking like it was going to be quite costly. However, looking on the Kindle store, I found all of them to cost a lot less than they would as a hardback or paperback. I knew I could read these on my phone, but I didn’t want to do this – I spend enough time on my phone already and didn’t want everything to be crammed onto a small screen. I also had an old Amazon Kindle Fire, but it’s gotten slow and its battery goes quite fast. 

I had a look into eReaders, but wasn’t sure if spending upwards of £70 on one would be a great idea, considering I only had a few books in mind and wasn’t sure how much I would use it. Then I saw that newer Kindle Fire tablets were going for around the same price and considered those instead. My laptop could probably do with replacing, but I figured a tablet could make a suitable replacement given I don’t use my laptop all that much nowadays. I also like to watch a lot of content and so it felt like a tablet may have been a better fit. 

Shortly after, Amazon put their tablets on sale and so I bought a Fire HD 8 for around £35. It’s been great! It came with a 3 month free trial of Kindle Unlimited and I’ve bought plenty of other books cheaply. The device obviously isn’t made for reading like a Kindle is, but I don’t mind missing out on those features and it’s been a great budget alternative to replacing my laptop. 

How about you? Do you use an eReader and why or why not? 

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Last year I started using BorrowBox, which is the e-version favoured by Essex Libraries.

There is a good range of books available to my taste. I can download a selection to my iPad and have up to 63 days in which to read each one.

The best thing is the price......it's free to residents of the county! This means that, if you find that the book is not in fact to your tastes, you can 'return' it and no money wasted.

Not sure which Counties use Borrowbox, but it may be worth researching your local county for ebooks to see what their policy is.

AhmadAl_1810878
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

It was a very bad experience and I do not recommend anyone to participate with them

TonyQui_1905144
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I bought a kindle at yhe start of lockdown as we couldn't get to the library and it was a boon. Since then I have discovered Borrowbox where I can download free books and audio books from my local library via their own apps. Kindle is still useful when travelling as it saves me carrying extra weight of books. 

Nathan
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

I'm a Comic/Graphic novel sort of reader. There are some amazing APPS available for this sort of content i.e. Comixology, Kindle and Marvel unlimited. 

Using these on my phone has been great (Zfold3) however there is something to be said about having a physical copy. It's nice to take some time away from a screen once in a while.

MartinAt_383639
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Yas,all the while.I use Kindle on my smartphone,the fact that the screen is lit makes it really easy to use during these darker times.

Don't know how it will work in the summer though 

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

I have a had a Kindle Fire for many, many years now I wouldn't know what to do without it👌 It's not only an E-reader but also a tablet so only one device needed😁
I suffer from poor mental health and reading books allows me to escape into worlds I understand and enjoy and with characters that end up feeling like friends. I read anything and everything and can read between 7 to 15 books a week😲
Because I read so much I have managed to find many websites where I can download books (both Mobi and Epub formats) and a few others where you can read them online. The bonus is that they are free to download/read online and I don't feel I have to read a book I don't like just because I paid for it.
I currently have >230 books on my Kindle in my Epub reader app (as Epub format is easier to find) and >150 more on my laptop ready to add😀
I know some people will find this unethical but at the rate I read I couldn't afford to do it if I had to pay and I would end up 'in my head' too much and that is a VERY bad place to be😞