Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

[Open Discussion] Recommend a readย ๐Ÿ“š

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Featured_Post_Open_Discussion@1x.png

Whatโ€™s was the last great book you read?

From e-readers to paperbacks, best sellers to charity shop finds, itโ€™s easier with all this choice to get you hands on a page turner, but with so much choice, separating the diamonds from the drivel is getting harder, so I think recommendations are even more valuable than they used to be.

Reading helps my brain re-set from the day, and I find it easier to fall asleep if I read before bed, so having a book on the go is a must for me.

So, what was your last great read? Was it a life changing self-help or a fictional getaway, is there a book you keep going back to or are you in the middle of a something new, I am excited to hear.

Iโ€™m a big fiction reader but I recently picked up Atomic Habits by James Clear, it was an interesting read on the power of habit forming, his clear examples at the beginning of each chapter made each step achievable.

Iโ€™m thrilled to hear your recommendations so let me know, what book would you recommend to a stranger? 

8 REPLIES 8

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Did Gibson's Sprawl trilogy recently. Must read for all cyberpunk fans.

Thoroughly enjoyed rereading Brave New World by Huxley, its truly amazing considering the book is from 1932.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

"The Beekeeper of Aleppo" by Christy Lefteri.

A story of refugees displaced from Syria by war and follows their journey, treatment and personal losses.

A very well written book and thought-provoking bookIMHO. Also saw it as a play and that was very good too.

LouiseM_1876924
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I recently discovered โ€œromantasyโ€ genre, which is romance/fantasy and I am almost finished with A Court of Thorns and Roses book series. There are 5 books in total and the latter part of book 3 with so mind blowing with its battle scene it was like watching it on the big screen! Highly recommend!

Lawrenc_2661529
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Really enjoyed The Last Murder At The End Of The World. Pretty much what it says in the title, a murder mystery set among the last community of humans after an apocalyptic event. 

oh that sounds class who is the author

AndyPandy
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Beano books in general. Dennis in Jurassic Bark, Dennis and the Chamber of Mischief, Dennis in Star Paws are good

I've recently started reading the Beano Boomic series (Boomic = book and comic. Best of both worlds!!), currently I'm reading through the first Boomic: Dennis & Gnasher: Battle For Bash Street School. These are available as audiobook formats too!

I also enjoy the Beano annual books (and weekly comics!), this may seem "childish" but I'm really not that bothered. I may be an adult, but I'm autistic and Beano is one of my special interests. I find with fictional books I can stay focused on what I'm reading for longer, too, which helps!

Oh, do colouring books count? I mean, they are books, after all. I love those!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Definitely all books count! That great that you have found them on audiobook as well I didn't realise they had them on different formats.  

@Rebekah_150  Local libraries have a great selection of e-books, e-magazines and audiobooks to borrow at the very best price.......free!

Essex libraries operate via Borrowbox and that is excellent, giving a good length of time in which to read the book