cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP

GuyAttf_2056631
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Backstory: I am about to lose my ADSL Broadband.  It's clear that, sooner rather than later, Openreach will 'convert' everyone in the area to fibre.  For several reasons it makes more sense for me to opt for mobile (4G) broadband now; there's a good signal at the top of the house even though there's a poor or no mobile signal over much of the rest of the house even though my 3-handset cordless phone system works perfectly throughout the house and garden. I need to keep the cordless system for personal safety (75 and living alone) and I've found a 4G router with an analogue phone port.  I'll keep my landline for as long as possible, but I need a fallback for when it becomes 'obsolete'.
Does Smarty support VOIP?  If so do I need a Voice SIM or just a data SIM?

17 REPLIES 17

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@GuyAttf_2056631  Regardless of anything else, Smarty do make it clear that you should not rely on mobile signal to replace traditional broadband.

If a mast goes down then you would be without an alternative for contact.

Traditional Broadband is even less reliable - frequent short interruptions while Fujitsu are working to extend Openreach's fibre network.  My local 3 mast is on top of the local exchange building (380m, almost line-of-sight), I don't know whether our exchange still has a stand-by pair of diesel generators but I understand that Openreach have been removing them progressively .  Most likely scenario is a power outage - no power = no broadband, no phone, no mobile.  I still have a gas stove with manual ignition - at least I'll be warm!

Jamie
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Is the parent companies home broadband any different?

@Jamie As far as I can see, it is still a mobile signal from Three network and not a true home broadband. No idea if it is any good. The adverts speak highly of it !!!  🤣

GrahamT_2540620
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have a similar problem, I bought a 4g Huawei router that has an RJ11 socket on the back for a phone to be plugged in, my mother is 89 and i only need broadband to monitor cameras we (my sister and i) use to keep an eye on her to make sure she hasnt fallen etc, she has no idea what the internet is and wont use a mobile, Problem im having is sometimes when you ring her it says this number is unavailable, i didnt get a data only sim i got one with calls on it too (dont know if that makes any difference) Huawei support say it should work but im just wondering what the problem is??? Perhaps i might get another sim and put it in a "Landline looking" mobile phone ??

@GrahamT_2540620  You say that the sim is in a router? This is working on mobile data and I do not see how you are ringing your mother if she has no mobile phone.

Hi, yes the sim card is in the router and there is a phone plugged into the router in the RJ45 socket on the back marked tel 1 ....Huawei customer support seemed to think that should work fine and whilst id got them on my mobile phone they called the sim in the router and it worked fine , Iv called it and made calls from it and most of the time it does work...

Sorry i ment RJ11.....

@GrahamT_2540620  So all is well then?

Did you check for signal coverage in the area? If it is not a strong signal then perhaps that explains why the number sometimes is unavailable.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@GrahamT_2540620 Forgot to say....if signal is not great in her house, then another sim in a simple phone (something like a Doro?) may not be the answer unfortunately

I will have another look at the signal strength ,router shows full signal but ill try the sim in a mobile phone and see if its as good as the router shows ? It seems quite difficult to get any information about this subject,perhaps its because the big phone companys dont want you to get cheap call and broadband deals. so annoying for pensioners who just want an old style phone and no broadband ?perhaps an external aerial ?

@GrahamT_2540620 I'm not sure that the companies don't want to give you the service. It's important to remember that the smaller networks like Smarty run on the back of bigger networks, in this case Three, and so are reliant on them.

In addition, there is sometimes the issue of building interference with mobile signals, as well as occasional congestion in a mast area.

Granted, it's a lot more difficult for some pensioners who are not tech savvy (but that doesn't include little old me who is also one of them! 😆).

Have you had a look at Doro phones, designed with the senior citizen in mind?

Yes iv seen them ! she aready has a large button phone , thats the one thats plugged into the router, Think the best idea is to check the signal strength as you suggested worst case get her one of those large button mobile phones,even then with two sims its half the price of fiber,

@GrahamT_2540620 Sounds good! If the phone sim has a £6 1Gb data discount plan ands never uses any data on it, then she will end up paying effectively £5 per month for all calls (and texts if she ventures into that domain!) - that's pretty cheap these days.

Hi, Thanks for your help,much appreciated, The router even with full signal is unreliable with phone calls, we`ve decided to get her a 4g phone (desk top) that has lots of useful features for OAP`s , we are going to keep the router which works fine for broadband  so both together are only £13 a month, less than half the price of fiber,once again thank you....

@GrahamT_2540620 De nada !!

WelshPaul
SMARTY Centurion
SMARTY Centurion

SMARTY use CGNAT and CGNAT is problematic for VoIP.  CGNAT is likely deleting the NAT rule for SIP after the "short time". SIP OPTIONS should fix that issue if the interval is short enough.