cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle Wifi

DarrenH_2199528
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I have a Smarty sim in my car for the wifi hotspot. The car’s device is 3G. 
Smarty say they are no longer be using 3G in the near future. Does this mean the wifi in my car will no longer work after this. 

5 REPLIES 5

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Yes, all UK mobile companies are switching off 3G, not just Smarty :

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/3g-switch-off 

IMG_1194.png

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@DarrenH_2199528,

Obviously this will mean many people will lose car hotspots, meaning no use of a hotspot from the in-car system, or paying to update it.

An alternative would be to have sufficient data on your phone (or a dedicated phone in the car) to provide a hotspot for those that need it, and also using the phone as a sat-nav when needed.

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Yep, it will be an interesting problem but I think it also depends on your car and if it is an older model then it probably only has 3G capabilities, otherwise newer models I think would support 4G minimum. Using your phone to hotspot instead as the guys have suggested is one better option, and, as a result of the 3G closure hopefully we can all look forward to faster and more reliable 4G and 5G. Alternatively, there are MiFi devices that can be bought from shops that could do the trick (and more up to date). 

lukefow_2236187
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

you could use a giffgaff sim card in the device after smarty turn off 3g, giffgaff is keeping 3g until 2025 so that would get you a few more years out of the hotpsot

Wow, the foul mouthed one who likes telling people to f*** off is back !

Even for you, that comment is odd - After 3G is switched off, the device in the OP’s car won’t work, as 3G will have been switched off !