cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unable to receive SMS messages

PeterRa_2475840
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I am in the process of moving from Portugal back to the UK. I transferred my UK number to Smarty in December returning to Portugal in January. So far no issues, I have been able to use my UK number without problems however when a Portuguese number sends an SMS I dont receive it. I can send to Portuguese numbers and can send and receive from UK numbers. 

Can anybody help as the banks here sometimes send codes via sms.

10 REPLIES 10

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@PeterRa_2475840 Are they using +44 or 0044 as prefix? Are the banks using short code numbers to send from because Smarty do not support that system currently?

Thank you for your reply. I have asked someone to change to to 0044 and no change to the situation. 

This sounds like something our customer services team will need to investigate you can contact them here https://smarty.co.uk/contact available daily from 8am โ€“ 8pm.

I think the issue maybe that my sim has my UK number without the international prefix. Is there a way to change this?

@PeterRa_2475840  I don't think that makes any difference and I'm not even sure that you can change it.

Your sim automatically 'identifies itself' on a network as being a UK sim - how would the foreign network know whether you were entitled to any service in that country otherwise?

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Another thought.....is it only one person who cannot send you SMS? If so, are they sending from their contacts or by inputting the number?

I thought the same but my wife got her SMARTY sim at the same time as me. I set them up in the same way but she is able to receive SMS messages from Portuguese numbers while we are here and I can't. I have looked through to find differences and that is the only one I can see

@PeterRa_2475840  (Getting desperate here ๐Ÿ˜ฑ) Any chance that you have blocked the number by accident? Is it all Portuguese numbers?

Have you already turned off the phone and then turned back on after a minute or two to try to force the sim to register agin on the network (in case of any error originally)?

The only issue appears to be with SMS messages from Portuguese numbers. 

I have tried switching off, waiting ,then turning back on. Doesn't work.

My son arrives in a few days so no doubt he will explain in words of 1 sylable why he thinks I'm a muppet.

@PeterRa_2475840  When your son arrives...and before he explains why he thinks that you are a muppet...you may wish to remind him of the potential inheritance upon your ultimate demise that he may be about to lose if he chooses his words foolishly ๐Ÿค”