cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spain roaming

Andrew_239836
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have roamed in Spain several times and always have an issue where I I predominantly remain on 3G and not 4g. Or sometimes lose access to mobile data entirely. A friend using EE on the same network (Movistar) does not have this issue and gets a constant 4G connection in the same areas. Settings are all as they should be and APN is set correctly. I’ve read of others having this issue on smarty and three - with the reply often just saying check APN settings, coverage, etc. 

Manually selecting Orange ES does give a signal that provides 4G. But the signal isn’t as good and if left on automatic the preferred network is Movistar. 

Vodafone Spain Doesn’t connect at all. 

is the roaming agreement with Movistar for a 3G only service? 

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@Andrew_239836 While I don't necessarily think that Smarty arrange for you to only get 3G, I wonder if the networks have a way of restricting your access to 4G in favour of their own customers when the network is busy.

I can well understand that local Spaniards would not be happy if they had rubbish service on the Costas during times when muchos ingleses were there.

Yea that’s a possibility. Just odd that an EE sim on the same roaming network has consistent 4G. To be fair the 3G speed isn’t that bad, but it burns through the battery. Apparently the 3G modems in most smart phones aren’t as power efficient as 4G

@Andrew_239836 Ain't it just a real first world problem though?

I can remember a time not that long ago when travel to foreign parts meant being incommunicado for the length of the trip. To be fair, if you are outside the EU and there isn't good wifi then the same is true, given the extortionate price for mobile services in many countries.

It is and it isn’t. More and more things rely on mobile. Cafes having menus as QR codes. Mobile banking services and Apple Pay. Times are moving on and not being connected can cause issues. 

ApplePay should work without a network connection. I have paid for a coffee on a plane using ApplePay.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Your thoughts are probably correct, @MSF 

I know that in the USA, the three Mobile Network Operators, namely ATT, T-Mobile, and Verizon, do what they call "de-prioritisation" of the MVNO's that piggyback on their networks at busy times., in favour of their own customers . Apparently, if you use an MVNO and attend a Baseball, Basketball, Hockey or American Football game, then there is a high probability that your phone will be about as useful as a doorstop for the duration of the game...US Mobile do offer what they call "premium data", which isnt de-prioritised, but of course, this attracts a premium price...

I have no doubt that "de-prioritisation" takes place in other countries, but its largely kept quiet....As you say, networks need to keep their native customers happy....