cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarty Porting Problem - 13 days of Web Chat, 6 formal complaints, 0 fix.

ChrisGo_2486818
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi Smarty community,

Below is my daily update of the "Smarty Experience"

In summary, since joining Smarty I have been unable to receive any call or receive any texts which I normally use for 2FA/MFA.

For reference, this problem is due to a failure in the porting of my number. My understanding is that Smarty needs to restart this or contact the previous provider to resolve. 

Below is my experience so far...

5th Jan - Signed up (A really good experience. Website is clear, simple and the whole process very easy). I provided my PAC code during sign-up in the provided section.

9th Jan – After receiving good communication via email, my sim had arrived, and I logged into the portal and activated the sim.

10th Jan - The port of my old number partially occurred around 2:00pm. I switched off my phone and swapped to the new sim.

11th Jan – Web Chat: 13 x sent messages, 11 x received messages. Summary: Port delayed, need to wait

12th Jan - Web Chat: 8 x sent messages, 8 x received messages. Summary: waiting for an update from the team

13th Jan - Web Chat: 13 x sent messages, 9 x received messages. Summary: Reset phone, clear cache etc. Ticket has been raised for a split port issue.

14th Jan - Web Chat: 2 x sent messages, 3 x received messages. Summary: Team has chased network for file exchange

15th Jan - Web Chat: 15 x sent messages, 17 x received messages. Summary: No update, wait until end of the day. Given complaints link. Reset phone, clear cache etc. Received £5 for inconvenience.

Other: Received an email stating port was complete

16th Jan - Web Chat: 15 x sent messages, 8 x received messages. Summary: Port will take 3-5 business days to complete.

Other: Raised a formal complaint.

17th Jan - Web Chat: 20 x sent messages, 26 x received messages. Summary: Reset phone, clear cache etc. Told port is complete. Reboot phone, remove/insert sim. Requested details of inbound calls. Passed to “dedicated tech support team”

18th Jan - Web Chat: 7 x sent messages, 5 x received messages. Summary: Issue being chased by the “special team”

19th Jan - Web Chat: 19 x sent messages, 22 x received messages. Summary: specified "We made a test call to the user where the call rang and had a normal end of call.". Reset phone, clear cache etc.

20th Jan - Web Chat: 11 x sent messages, 9 x received messages. Summary: said "The team has got the issue, now and are working on it."

21st Jan - Web Chat: 5 x sent messages, 6 x received messages. Summary: Said "The team are still looking into it"

22nd Jan - Web Chat: 3 x sent messages, 4 x received messages. Summary:  The team is saying there is an error in the routing of the incoming services. The team are working on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ChrisGo_2486818
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi All,

I finally found a solution and all is now working perfectly 🤗

My solution was to get a PAC code from Smarty and port to a new provider which solved all the problems.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for your help and support, it was appreciated.

Regards

Chris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Sorry to hear about your switching trouble, @ChrisGo_2486818

The UK mobile number portability rules make the gaining service provider 100% responsible for getting the switch completed on-time and correctly. Unfortunately, the rules don't have any incentives or penalities for the losing service provider in the event of a number porting problem. 

If you've logged a complaint, then probably best to use the complaints team to expedite a solution - although SMARTY Mobile have 8-weeks to resolve your complaint. 

Hopefully your switching issues get fixed soon, @ChrisGo_2486818.

Thanks for your reply. I have already checked and I have to wait 8 weeks before I can lodge a complaint against them with Ofcom. I do appreciate your time though to offer help.👍

I have tried to expedite a solution with 6 formal complaints so far and spengin every day on Web Chat.

I cannot even think to add up the number of hours spent trying to resolve this.

I really do think it's a good priced network and I've never had any historical issues with Three's coverage. But as to Smarty, based on my experience, I would suggest "Buyer Beware" as if you have a problem that needs more than a phone reset, cache clear etc, I wouldn't bet money on a quick (or if ever) fix.

Perhaps you've been unlucky on this occasion, @ChrisGo_2486818
I've switched to SMARTY a few times - luckily enough, without any mishaps. 

If your complaint is not resolved within 8-weeks, you can approach the Communications Ombudsman - not sure OFCOM would get involved.

🍀

Thanks for your reply, 

Sorry, you are right the communication ombudsman. I did call them to hear about the 8 week wait.

I have no doubt, Smarty is good when things go smoothly. Unfortunately, things do go wrong sometimes (porting or otherwise). 

My issue with Smarty is not that something has gone wrong, it's the total lack of ability to resolve it and the constant "groundhog day" scenario. One web chat operator admitted their only way to escalate a problem is to write details in the notes. 

It seems the Web Chat operators have a horrendous job as they have obviously not been given enough training, a concise knowledgebase or the ability to escalate and are having to deal with frustrated customers who have problems.  

Yeah, I've experienced this issue too, @ChrisGo_2486818

My solution was to keep asking for the supervisor, the line manager, the department manager, etcetera. Eventually you can end-up with a UK based advisor, which does seem to help getting meaningful support.

jamescutts
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Sorry to hear your having these problems and poor customer support @ChrisGo_2486818 I've very recently (last week) done the same transfer from Three over to SMARTY. Sounds like this is a nightmare scenario to get stuck in. In all honesty once the transfer is finally complete I'd be transferring elsewhere in your situation.

I don't know if I can offer much advice but it may in this case be worth contacting the looking up and contacting the CEO directly in which case you would hope their team would look into it for you with swifter action.

In a similar vein it may also be worth making a complaint to Ofcom, if you have a formal Ofcom compaint it may poke SMARTY into swifter action.

Phone providers must allow you to take their telephone number with you to a new provider when you switch. This is known as ‘number porting’.

If you think your provider is preventing or delaying you from porting your number, contact your new provider.

You may be asked to give them an Ofcom complaint reference number to start a short investigation. You can get this number by submitting a complaint via the Ofcom website.

An independent industry panel will then assess your case, and can override your old provider to complete the porting of your number.

Phone providers must offer compensation if they block or delay you from porting your number when switching.

They must also explain clearly how you can claim this compensation. Ask your provider for details.

@jamescutts I think that Ofcom insist on giving a company 8 weeks to sort the problem before they will become involved. 

ChrisGo_2486818
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi All,

I finally found a solution and all is now working perfectly 🤗

My solution was to get a PAC code from Smarty and port to a new provider which solved all the problems.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for your help and support, it was appreciated.

Regards

Chris