cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number switchover

HannahF
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi, I’ve just joined Smarty. I sent my PAC code earlier today (within the time provided, well before 5pm) so I thought that my number should switch over by tomorrow as they say it happens within 24 hours. But I just have received a message saying it won’t happen until 4th, which is the day after. This is disappointing. Why is this? I followed their guidance! Does it often take longer? And they only told me now after their webchat is inactive for the night. It isn’t making me feel like I’m off to a good start….

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

You'll be entitled to compensation for the delay, because OFCOM rules say the switch must happen the next business day. 

I suspect the only way you'll find out why there's been a delay is by making a complaint.

Unfortunately, this looks like a case of #LessSMARTY, #MoreMalarkey @HannahF

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

You'll be entitled to compensation for the delay, because OFCOM rules say the switch must happen the next business day. 

I suspect the only way you'll find out why there's been a delay is by making a complaint.

Unfortunately, this looks like a case of #LessSMARTY, #MoreMalarkey @HannahF

Thank you for your advice. I will certainly complain because the customer service I have just had on chat is appallingly bad! 

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

If your old provider was Vodafone or someone using the Vodafone network, there may be delays. 

It's alleged Vodafone haven't been following the operator processes for mobile number transfers since 28-Apr-2023.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@HannahF  Did you see this article?: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/7019273-keeping-your-number#h_9f771a768d Did you get the choice of dates?

You may need to complain as suggested.

Hope it works out.

HannahF
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Thank you. No, I got no choice. I have just spent ages on chat with a very unhelpful advisor and I am seriously thinking I made a mistake joining Smarty. He is insisting I sent my PAC code after 9pm when I have a text and email from Smarty proving it was sent around 4pm. They were the ones who texted me after 9pm to tell me the date of transfer. So I will proceed with a complaint. It wouldn't be a big deal if they were apologetic and explained themselves, but the guy I spoke to is implying that I'm lying!

@HannahF I totally understand why you are not happy.

It does seem that Smarty have outsourced a lot of Support. When I originally joined, I think most of it was in house; it was quick, polite and very helpful and resolved the few issues that I had very quickly. Unfortunately, I seem to be reading something different nowadays....Ah, progress!!

Kayakit
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi. My old provider stopped my services at 12.00. My number hadn't been ported over so I contacted Smarty. I was advised that it would be by the end of the working day, and I'd get an email. The chat also included some useful hints if I had problems with the number switch. 16.20 over it came.

ah06t92
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I’m in the same sinking boat…

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Are you transferring a number from Vodafone? 
Allegedly, Vodafone currently have major issues with the industry procedure for handing PAC requests and submissions.

I wonder if SMARTY are having similar issues?

@Chalkychap I wonder whether the Cost of Living Crisis has made more people think hard about how much they are spending monthly on their mobiles and broadband. It might be a reason for a mass exodus towards the cheaper sim only sub-networks I think.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

I guess so, but it still seems lots of people want to get the latest iPhone, Samsung or Pixel handset every year. 

The mobile networks are always enticing people to upgrade - their 12/24-month minimum term handset contracts appear to remain a lucrative business. 

Reduce, reuse, recycle - good for the plant.

@Chalkychap ...and certainly good for the companies that refurb phones!!🤣

PeterCo_2320933
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

It looks as if I am in the same boat as a lot of the OP who posted above. I'm trying to transfer from Vodafone and currently on my 4th day without an operational phone. I tried to get updates using chat and have even been transferred to a human customer service agent by the name of Mannina. All I'm getting at the moment is "Our team is working on it and once we get an update we will share it with you as soon as possible". Not really helpful when I need to make and receive calls on a daily basis. Like others I'm wondering if I've made a mistake in choosing Smarty